30 chic days: day 30: are kiwis chic?

                                   Related image

The final day in Fiona Ferris's 30 chic days, to celebrate the release of her bestseller: 30 Chic Days. If you would like to read, or listen to, the 1st 3 chapters, here is the link to Fiona's lovely blog: http://howtobechic.blogspot.co.nz/. Going through Fiona's site to get to see the book, is actually more supportive for her. Her facebook site is: https://www.facebook.com/FionaFerrisAuthor/

For my last day in this chic series, I have done some sleuthing to see if we kiwis ladies are chic. I kept a lookout wherever I went. But I felt that I needed something to compare it with, so I sneakily talked to french women. I figured that french restaurants, bakeries & delicatessens were easy places to do my research in, & I actually only talked about the food on sale (french food places are very busy!). I also have known french women, so I remembered aspects about them too.

They talk quite fast, are very expressive with their face, body, & hands & I think that it's because the french language is very expressive. They are friendly. They do have beautiful complexions, some wear make-up, some do not. Many have slightly messy hair, which I like. I really disliked the fad for straightening hair & trying to make it look perfect, that was prevalent in New Zealand for so long. And even when french ladies are wearing jeans & very casual clothes, they do look different, and it's hard to say why.

I saw a french woman who had pitch black hair in a messy high bun, with a straight fringe, make-up, red lipstick, wearing very modern and very casual black, and grey, clothes, with jewellery made from real silver vintage cutlery. She looked amazing. Actually she was the real french chic inspiration, for me. I realised that chic was about simplicity, unique-ness, and imperfection.

I do think that there is NZ chic, & more than one type of chic look, but I don't think that everyone has it:

  • I know arty people who personify chic yet are not Parisian chic
  • there is also the casual chic, of jeans and a top or two, sneakers, Converse, ballerinas, or ankle boots
  • slightly messy but artfully cut, or coloured, hair
  • le non make-up look provided by mineral powder, lip balm, mascara. Very nice
  • my youngest grand daughter (thirteen years old) was recently wearing fitted light blue denim jeans, a navy and white sailor-striped tee, with tan mock suede flat ankle boots. Her long hair was in a pony: she looked chic! (I asked where all the gear was from. Grand daughters are a great source of current fashion & beauty info)
  • I was in a clothes shop recently, & one of the salesgirls was so chic! I had to sneakily peek at her, so as not to be a staring weirdo. Very current clothes; long hair; le non make-up look; her baggy silky type tee was slightly tucked into her elegant black harem-type pants, just at the middle of her waist, no where else; ankle boots; loose, long, cardi top, all very casual, a bit untidy, all so chic
  • then there was the very expensively upmarket chic look of black, red and white, with slightly messy hair, and very expensive accessories, that I saw on a woman in a very expensive Auckland suburb
  • then the older women with their short hair, cut casual & modern; black top and pants which honestly can be from any decade, any price. With a large, plain, unusual necklace, or a long untied scarf. It looks fantastic. So age is no barrier to chic-ness.
  • today I saw a young woman in a cafe. actually it was her black quilted, Chanel-look, gold-chained Guess bag that I really saw first. I was mesmerised by it. She wore a plain black long sleeved tee, with black leggings that did not look expensive, and little ankle boots. She looked good. Looking at her, I really could see how you mix different priced gear, even mixing dressy with casual, to create a chic look.
  • then there is The Big Night Out such as engagement parties: I went to one a few months ago. All very chic, there was a definite look, even though everyone was dressed differently. Le smoky eye and artfully slightly messy hair are definitely part of the general evening out look.
  • in the CBD, tailored black chic is still de rigeur for the businesswoman. No matter what is said about "classic" clothes, they actually do undergo subtle fashion changes
  • for those who love vintage, or le hippie look, mixing it with modern gear, is sooo chic.

Chic seems to me to be an attitude, a personal style, and yes, I have seen many examples of kiwi chic. For those who have it, the way that they personify it, is their "look", with casual being toned down, as an ease of dressing, le non make-up look but secretly wearing some, whilst evening & dressy glam is full make-up, and non-structured hairdos, but the clothes do seem to have a simplicity, whether casual or dressy.














Comments