the trials and tribulations of moving house

                                   Related image

I've moved! 

Yet again. Off into the hills. I'm gonna be a hill-billy. Not. But, yes, high up in the Waitakere ranges, which I love. I love those ranges. I even love the wind and rain that they bring. Well, sometimes I do. My new-to-me tiny abode is a cottage with panoramic views. Like a bedsit, really. Or, is it a cabin? Lucky, lucky me. It has a little veranda for early morning meditation. I am so excited about it.


letting go of more 'stuff'

I didn't have much stuff to move, because well, I actually don't have much 'stuff'. Nevertheless, I did have to let a lot of my belongings go. I'm going from a house to a tiny cottage, so unnecessary items have had to be disposed of. A van of useful items, plus some books and clothes, for the Salvation Army. Bedding and odd bits of furniture to a niece. Furniture to a sister. And now that I am unpacking in wee abode, I am discovering that, ahem, I do have way too many belongings. More op-shop drop-offs are in order. 


Why do we keep stuff?

What did intrigue me, was wondering: why do we keep some things? I'm not a hoarder, so I don't keep much in case I might need things at some time, which is the definition of hoarding. So, what do I keep? I thought that I was practical in this area, but now evidence is showing me otherwise. I keep:
  • the clothes that I do wear, as opposed to 'might wear'. It has taken me a fair few years to get to being like this with clothes, so I definitely used to be a hoarder in this area of life
  • just enough kitchen crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils. I don't have parties and such so I don't need much in this area, but, alas I am busy disposing of more things
  • some photos and special cards from family. My photos went to live with one of my kids, so I know where they are if I want to reminisce. I am rather sentimental
  • my yoga folders. Some of the courses that I've written and presented over the decades. Much of this I have given away, as it's all embedded inside of me anyway, but I now know that some more must depart
  • a massive aura healing folder. Um, yes, this is hoarding. I don't do nor teach, this anymore, and this too, is ensconced inside of me
  • my Maori healing workbooks. These are definitely staying
  • my beloved vintage yoga books. It will be hard letting go of these, but there is no room for them (big sigh)
  • books which are trivial. I am going to keep some as I enjoy them. In my working life, I do serious and deeply meaningful things, like healing, and clairvoyance, and teaching spiritual yoga. I need books to read which are exactly the opposite. They help me unwind 
What do all of my keeping belongings, say? What do yours' say?  And, to me this was an epiphany: do my belongs say whom I really am? Other than a bit of a hoarder who thought that she wasn't one. To a real gather of unnecessary belongings, what I actually do have is laughable, inconsequential. 

Do my belongings give a clue as to my real personality? Or, do I use them to hide behind? Something for moi to ponder.





Comments

  1. Wow! I didn't read your blog for a few days and you've moved house! I hope you will be happy in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bless. Yes, already I am happy here. Lucky me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment