winter is here


                      Related image


bbrrr


winter has made a dramatic entrance

Storms. Cold. It all happened very quickly. As our seasonal changes here in New Zealand are apt to do. But today the sun is back out. The cold is still here. Today is 'pull out my warm jumpers and hoodie' day. 


winter has it's own majesty

I do feel that winter has it's own charm, though. Even if sometimes we forget this.

  • it's a time when we can sort of hibernate. Rest and restore. Early nights. 
  • For those who are lucky to have a fireplace; this is so special and cosy.
  • There is something that I love about being inside when the trees are swaying in the wind, and I can hear the rain on the roof
  • Even though being outside in this is not quite as nice, but that's just me, I still go for a walk, even just a short one, most days. And in winter, having a brisk promenade seems to help ward off winter bugs.

winter clothes

  • I really would like some ankle boots this year. I find it really hard to get footwear that actually fits me properly and comfortably. So a few shopping expeditions are in order to get these booties.
  • One of my grand-daughters bought me a beautiful wool navy wrap a couple of years ago. I feel that I shall get many more years use out of it.
  • Similarly, my jackets and coats seem to go on forever, Methinks that the time has come to perhaps update them.
  • A beanie is invaluable. And wool gloves. Woolen scarf.
  • I have been on the look-out for a warm poncho for ages. I am really short so things like wraps and ponchos can look somewhat ridiculous on me. Almost as though you can't find me under those garments. So it takes ages to find nice ones that flatter me.
  • I always have a small foldup umbrella. I used to get really good ones but as they don't do so well in sudden gales, I have resorted to cheaper ones. Plus a bigger one. Those ugly golf ones actually are ideal, and maybe one day I shall get one.
  • I like richer colours in winter. 

Today will be busy, scrambling through my boxes (I'm moving so have packed many of my clothes away) to assemble a winter wardrobe.

winter food

I love soup and have it most of the year. I always think how chic it would be to make soups using a tin of tomatoes, but as I'm allergic to them, I just mostly use vegetables. Good comfort food.

I often fondly remember winter food, growing up in my teens, at  my Nanna's. Steak and kidney pie, steamed puddings (golden syrup; jam  - both so yummy), roasts. Food heaven. I don't eat much meat so I wouldn't cook those meals now, but I did love them. 

I intend to use my wee slow cooker more, for legume and grain soups, and bean casseroles. Coming home out of the cold, opening the door and smelling warm, fragrant food is just such a treat. I have a very glamorous friend who does this most days. She says that it's just so easy to do.

My soaked muesli has quickly turned into porridge. I prefer cooked food, so autumn and winter foods really suit me. 

What suits you for winter? I find it helpful to eat according to the seasons, and also eating local foods which are grown in the season that we are in. It just seems more natural to me. 











Comments

  1. I keep forgetting that you are experiencing winter while we are having summer! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are upside down of you! Yes,the cold came unexpectedly with a real fury. As it does every year,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment