the great spring overhaul

                                          
                                     Image result for vintage french magazine bath

overhaul what?

Moi. I am feeling that I need a wof. Warrant of fitness. And a tune up. And a clean out, polish and tidy.


wof for my tootsies

It all started when I did The Great Reveal of my feet. The feet which have been encased in socks for months. Months! Clearly, I needed to remove the chipped nail polish, pumice my heels, and have some giant moisturising efforts. I had a professional pedicure earlier this year, and am going to steal some of what they did:
  • a nice pumice of the heels
  • a grainy scrub massage; I have some Fiji sugar scrub (very luxurious)
  • they filed the nails. Well, really! Who can do that? I have tiny feet, so most of my toenails are also very tiny. But a miniature curve at the sides of the big toenails did look good, and is very steal-able
  • then another massage with moisturiser
But, I have a piece de resistance: rub in oil, lotion, and a thick cream (like vaseline), put on socks just before you go to bed. When you wake up, be careful as the soles of your feet can be a bit slippery. But, your tootsies? They will look and feel divine. Amazingly I have ended up with special sockettes to use with overnight pampering. Where did they come from? (Another of life's mysteries) I am not feeling like doing the nail polish thing, at the moment, even though it does look nice. 

and for my hands

My hands: yes, well. They are obviously "working hands". I need to keep my fingernails short-ish, as I am a healer, and don't want to dig my talons into people, nor accidentally scratch them. Yes, I have made the mistake of doing both. Not a good look. A trim and a slight filing of the corners, then a gentle sugar scrub, followed by a massage with the above concoction, old gloves on overnight, and beautiful hands when you wake up. 

and let's not forget the body

When I was living in wee cabin, it was just too cold to do a body brush before a shower, so I used a gorgeous sandalwood soap and scrub gloves as I was under the hot water. I'm now feeling that as I'm now living in a warmer abode (thank you Universe), that I shall add some panic dry brushing as well. And I was a bit lax with body lotion when I was so cold, but truly, as we get older? Use that body lotion!!! Mine is almost used up, so I'll be adding some olive oil to it, to make it richer, and not waste any. 

Something which I have always religiously done, no matter how cold I am, is to moisturise down on my cleavage whenever I use anything on my face. And, after a shower, even if it's just a quick rub, I put body lotion on as well, for extra moisture on my (ahem) chest. And when I'm not being slack, I also put on some thick cream there, before bed. This is an area which can look really awful as the years go on, and I prefer to slow down this process.

This morning, I realised that I had been forgetting to do the cool to cold (depending on the season) quick rinse at the end of my shower. It's very reviving to do this. I usually can't face doing it during the cold weather, to be honest. 

So, time to stop being so slack!! Am I alone in all of this? I suspect not. The truth is that I feel I have let myself go a bit. The past eighteen months have been difficult, with changing where I live three times, difficulties left, right and centre, people stuff, not earning much (which is always hard), and studying full time. But the tide has turned, on all levels, for which I am so grateful. And, interestingly, mysteriously there is now also time for me to lavish a bit of care upon myself.

Thank you, universe (even though I know that you are incredibly busy......)









Comments

  1. me too i have had the foot reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... which was scary, for me...... our tootsies sure need some tlc sometimes

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this and the previous your post about your spring preparations. I am glad you are making the effort to take care of your self as you get ready for the change of seasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, it's been a rough year so my goodness, some me time is needed to balance it all out.

      Delete
  3. What a lot of good advice here, Ratnamurti. I need to treat my feet to a scrub and also I use a battery-operated foot file, but I also need to visit the podiatrist every couple of months as I could grow hard skin for a pastime! I must get some body scrub gloves, that would do my skin the world of good. Thanks for reminding me.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. a battery operated foot file sounds fantastic, Margaret. That hard skin business, yes I find it's a mission, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment