The Weight Loss Chronicles

WEIGHT LOSS REVISITED


big reason for wanting to be physically stronger: my youngest (not yet eighteen months in this photo) is having a baby. 

That ole weight loss thing

I haven't posted for a while about this. Simply because it wasn't happening. Not at all. So depressing.

So, I took a different tack. I changed my thinking: if not weight loss, then what? What mattered most to me with The Body? Strangely, it actually wasn't weight loss at all. I wanted other things more:

#1: I wanted to be have a stronger body
  • one that could lift heavy objects without my back being damaged. Anyone who has had this happen knows how debilitating this can be. And it affects us in so many ways. We start "protecting" our back so that we don't hurt it. I very seldom use pain killers because to me, relying on them means that I'm not doing anything positive about the situation. Please don't think this is a criticism of anyone who does use pain meds, because it's not. I am only talking about moi here. I have had years of acute pain with my back, sometimes unable to get off the sofa, the pain was so bad. And yes, sometimes I did have to use pain killers. 
  • But even better than pills, were the sticking plasters that    you put on a sore back. They have heat things in them,    and the heat from these enabled me to keep moving            without my back muscles going into painful spasms. Which was very powerful back therapy. 
  • I also simply wanted to be physically stronger. With my work as a healer, I need to be able to lift heavy limbs. This has simply been so hard for wee moi, I can do it but I get exhausted. I expect this all to just get easier (yay!!)
  •  Then the other big thing: as the years go by, we lose  muscle mass, and also our bones get weaker. Not a pretty sight, because we can then shrink. I don't want to do this!! I am short enough already. Strong muscles = strong bones
#2: I wanted to have a stronger heart and more endurance

This is tied up with stamina. A long battle with severe anemia really wrecked my muscles, strength and stamina. I want to tromp up hill and down dale. Yes I do.   

So what did I do about these?

I joined a gym. I bit the bullet and just did it. Even though I am at 100% beginner level, I was able to do all of the strength machines, and I do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday, first thing. Glug some water as soon as I get up, then stagger off to do my thing. I do some yoga poses after, because I really do know what to do for stretching out the muscles. There are mirrors, ghastly big revealing ones, everywhere in this gym. (It's enough to make a person want to tone up, I can tell you) And I was surprised to see how truly bendy I am. 

I seriously thought that on the other days I would sally forth around the local little hills for walkies. Ha! That hasn't happened, so the next step is to hit the aerobic machines in the gym. 

What have been the results?
  • My dodgy back is now only dodgy if I eat foods that cause me inflammation. The improvement was immediate. 
  • I'm standing straighter
  • Weirdly I now have more stamina from the strength machines. I didn't expect that. 
  • Either my underwear has stretched, or.... ? And so have my tights.
  • The change in my food habits has been dramatic. I am now accepting that how I eat has to suit me, not what the latest and greatest diet thing is. I can go for hours without eating. I whizz around getting heaps done, fill of energy, bright as a button. But if I do that, when I do eat, I practically pass out and fall asleep. So, yes, little but often is what I do best with. Carbs only at breakfast and dinner, as these are the only times that I don't get the sleep thing when I eat them. Trust me, I do want to nosh on bread and yummy stuff in my no-go hours, but as best as possible, I don't. 
  • I had a day when I could barely cope with the rather sore "contractions" in my abdominal muscles, after I bumped everything up a notch. And a week of aching triceps which rather surprised me. I mean - triceps?
  • I was exhausted the first week and could only do two days. 
  • I want to move my body more
  • I was told by a gym bunny that the first three weeks could be hard, then after that, if you miss a day, you don't feel so good. Well, it's week three now and no it's great, just great. 
So, that's moi with the whole weight thing, as my life is right now. What does everyone else do for fitness?






Comments

  1. Oops! Just lost my comment (pressed the wrong button!). Anyway, I was saying that you are an inspiration to us all! I did something to my back, in January, so, I have been taking it easy. But, I think I have healed enough to do some gentle stretching and start walking, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress is exciting I reckon, when you realise you can again do some things. Good on you xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, I do so relate to where you are coming from. I am glad you are listening to your own body and doing what is right for it, and not just conforming to what those "out there" say we should be doing.
    For myself, I am not finding it an easy road to follow but baby-steps are heading in the right direction, and a lovely lady gave me some great stretching exercises :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chuckle. I sent them again. That whole business of the "latest and greatest" just does my head in.

      Delete
  3. I can totally relate. Once I went through menopause I couldn't lose weight no matter what diet I tried. I'm not overweight, but I'm not as thin as I wish I could be. I've also just decided I have to focus on health and not the number on the scale. I eat a low carb diet and I work out 5 days a week alternating between the treadmill and weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a mystery, when you do all of the "right" things and this happens. And frustrating. But so inspiring with what you do.

      Delete
  4. For fitness I use my treadmill at least 4-5 times a week, I've bee going through menopause for the last 3 years so my metabolism isn't as fast as it use to be so I've found I have to exercise twice as hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so impressive with the treadmill. And one of my aims, too.

      Delete
  5. You are kicking butt. Sounds like you are discovering a lot about what works for you. I definitely need to get some muscle training back into my life for the exact reasons you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's quite easy at a gym, and even easier now than the prices are so low

      Delete
  6. When I was young I found it easy to keep my weight but now that I am older I realise that is very hard to lose even few grams!

    I like walking fast and I do it when possible. If I don't lose weight... at least I feel good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your approach to all of this. I do not personally like to take prescription pain medication either. It makes me feel sick and loopy. So a more natural healing approach is always my first course of action as well. And look at all the extra added benefits you get as well. Good for you! Very inspiring, my friend! Thanks so much for linking up with me.
    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love linking up with you, Shelbee. I have been quite selective who I do link with :)

      Delete
  8. Weight loss is a basic issue in today's general public with obesity on the increase and individuals at long last acknowledging what being overweight is doing to their bodies weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joined the gym too this year due to peri menopamuscle loss... first timer. The yoga is great...going slowly and carefully as my adrenals won't like any hard out cardio. They have these cool group fitness classes. Fun!! And I'll start strengrh training soon. Wish I'd known the importance of this year's ago. Ideally I'll warm up and down with yoga and qi Gong. Maybe a weekly swim. Im gonna be a strong geriatric mama!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment