le evening regime

why would anyone want an evening routine

 (making an evening list)

Isn't this just another anal-have-to-do thing? Or not? Because, yes we all have routines, whether we realise it or not.

I mean, if you look at what you do each night, it will follow a pattern. It's just the way that we all are. So, yes, we all have some sort of evening regime, no matter what it is. So why would we want a special evening system?

my former useless morning routine

Being a morning person, I've generally always done everything early in the morning, before my day starts. I thought that it really suited me, as that's when my energy is at it's highest. I obviously had it all wrong. 

I would be dashing around, putting away the dishes that were washed the night before, putting on washing (which I still do), ironing (which I no longer do), preparing food, trying to figure out what to wear, getting stuff together. It was all preparation for that day. Which was great. But I would be so tired by lunchtime. And if I added anything for me, it would be a joke, it just wouldn't get done, as there would be no time.

Which I didn't really understand. After all, didn't the "experts" say to do things when your energy is at it's highest? 

Yes, they do. But they meant Other Things. Not the daily life stuff. For example, I write, and I can tell you that I do this best before lunch. And study? Yep, that has to be done before lunch too, as my learning abilities are a bit haywire in the afternoons. And these are the type of things that the experts are talking about with when your energy is at it's highest. So, in business, there are some tasks that you would find you could do when your energy is a bit low. For me, these are, for example, emails, food shopping, boring stuff that doesn't require too much gray matter. 

And I always felt that I "had" to do some yoga in the mornings, because that's when you do it, right? Or go for a walk first thing because it helps with weight loss? Go to the gym asap. Well, yes I actually do these things. But I do have to get up really early to do them or else I lose my morning prime time. But, I may change it all. I'm not yet sure, I'm just going to fiddle around and see what I can do when.

I've nearly finished my first book 

And it's to fit in with my writing. I've almost completed my first little book, which will be going out soon (hopefully) on Amazon as Kindle, and probably as a book as well. I also have two half written books which I would like to complete. So, I really do need to reassess how I am managing my time, to get all of this done. Plus do health and fitness, maintain friendships, spend time with family, earn money, etc, etc (phew).

le evening regime

And in a round-a-bout way, this does go back to the ole evening routine as well. I do need to sort this out to reduce morning stress and wasting time. So, this is the new plan, which might be adherred to and kept, or changed and tweeked if it doesn't agree with me:

1.  aim for an early night. Asleep by ten if possible
2.  about an hour or so before, start getting ready for the next day by:

  • quick dishes and tidy (new, or should I say "resuming")
  • look at diary for the next day (also resuming)
  • turning most lights off
  • turn that *#!* computer off!!!!! (resuming) 
  • laying out my gym gear  and clothes for the rest of the day, which I already do
  • clean off make-up etc, moisturise face, neck, chest, hands and feet (only the feet are a new addition)
 3.   get ready for sleep (new routine)
  • do a couple of very easy, relaxing, yoga poses
  • a wee meditation
  • give thanks for whatever
4. bed!! zzzz

I used to have a really great night-time routine, however when I had less personal space, my before bed routine became non-existent. But, I do love to be organised. I am that person who finds an organised life to be a great stress reducer. So now I feel that it's time to recreate my evening routine, as the time and physical space is all there.

I eat my dinner early, at about 4pm. If I'm sharing a meal, I'm okay with it being later, but when it's just me, then an early meal, it is. Because this is when I'm really hungry. In did it for years, and wish I hadn't stopped, as it so suited me.

And I guess that with organisation and routines, it is all about what suits oneself, one's life and circumstances. 

What do you do? And why does it suit you?




Comments

  1. Interested to scroll through your recent posts and discover this one. I have been thinking of creating an evening routine and now I am inspired to do so more than ever. I keep saying I will turn off the computer by 8:30 pm but every night, there is one more blog to read, email to write, Facebook post to comment on. And yet, there's always tomorrow...I HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound very similar to me, Ratnamurti! I do most of my writing before noon and I hit a mental block at that point. I like to get up early and do all the things before the rest of the world awakens, but I get tired by about 2 pm and shut down for the day..long before the rest of the world does. Ha. And generally I have dinner between 4 and 5 and go to bed around 9. I have been trying to readjust my schedule as well, but to no avail. Thanks for sharing your routine. It was very interesting to see the similarities.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big grins reading this Shelbee - it's my routine too right down to karking out about 2pm, dinner by 4pm, early bed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment