a week of restore: day 5

A week of restore day five:
Feel good about yourself

(photo from Chandan Chaurasia, Unsplash.com)

I have had long periods in my life when I didn't feel good about myself. And long periods when I did feel good about moi. No doubt you have done so, too.


Some years ago when I walked away from a difficult life, I was quite broken. I felt useless. One day, I sat and wrote all of the things that I had achieved, big and small, that I could remember. My gosh, there were so many. I was amazed. I had forgotten so much. But I tell you, this started the road back to feeling good about myself. I could see, from my list, that I wasn't useless, and had never been that way. So, step number one that I personally recommend to feel good about oneself is:

List your accomplishments:

What you have done, achieved. And would put in successes like going to work each day in a difficult work environment; bringing up beautiful children (I like to say beautiful children because they are all so amazing); donating time; as not everything that is a success has to be earthshattering.

I have found that it also helps tremendously to:

Surround yourself with supportive people

I personally find it difficult to feel good about myself when I keep hanging out with shall we say, non-supportive, people. 

I have six grandchildren (most of whom are adults) and one great grandchild. I always wanted (and still do) them to know that I have their back, each of them, and that I am so proud of each for their own unique gifts. My own beloved Nanna did so for me, and I am eternally grateful for this. 

I also endeavour to be there for my supportive friends, and I truly do appreciate them :)

Another way of feeling good about myself is:

Do what you are good at:

I spent many years endeavouring to do things that weren't me. Silly really, because I had my own innate talents. As we all do. I totally recommend that we look at what we are good at, and Just Do It.

For the record, I know that I'm good at healing, clairvoyance, teaching yoga. That's plenty, I don't need more. And I love what I do. 

No doubt you have your own fabulous suggestions, and I'd love to know them :)




Comments

  1. One of the hardest things for me is to talk about my accomplishments! I was brought up to minimize accomplishments. One didn't talk about them as that was considered boasting. But, I have to admit I have accomplished a lot over the years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it a generation thing I wonder about having to be overly modest about one's accomplishments.

      Delete

Post a Comment