making life nice

 why would we want to make our life "nice"?

myself, I do feel that it's better for

* our health

* our emotions

* our state of mind

* for our offspring

it's also just an easier way to live

especially in these strangest and unforeseen of times



Photo by Denis Oliveira on Unsplash

our first guru/teacher

For me, niceness goes back to Nanna (Dad's mother), and Mum. Our first guru is our Mum, and I had two gurus. Our biggest life influences from a young age. Strangely, because they were so different, it was in a similar yet totally diffent way. My life with each of them was chalk and cheese. Yet both were insistent that one behaved nicely. And trust me, both did not have easy lives. Mum more so. Her life was harder due to having had so many children and also being a working mum - but it definitely was each their own choice to be a good person.

little rituals enhance our life

One of Nanna's life lessons, which I'm quite sure she would just have regarded as "how she lived her life", was to have little rituals, or ways of doing things. It's a way of life which I know many would love to do. Living on my own, I do have to remember to have some little regular pleasures, rituals. But I have inherited some off Nanna:

  • Nanna gave me a life long love of coffee. Her's was in a coffee "kettle" where it bubbled, and was so strong!! In the tiniest of coffee cups, after dinner. I doubt that I could drink it that strong again.You could almost stand a spoon up in it, it was so thick. However, the memory of this after dinner coffee ritual has now inspired me to drink black coffee when I'm at cafes, rather than have hundreds of calories in a latte or similar. 
  • We had afternoon tea every day. Usually just a lovely cup of (strong) tea and a biscuit or two. Although we also had yummy bakery goods that Dad brought home from work.I am hungry every day at this time, and it does go back to happy memories.Afternoon tea is now being resumed, even in just a minor way.
  • having breakfast outside in the sun on the weekend. When it's not so cold, Ratnamurti ......
  • making myself look nice and tidy each day. I've always done this.
  • looking after what I've got rather than getting more. 
Both Mum and Nanna had lovely gracious, clean homes. Mostly I am like this, but again - I do have my messy moments. Because of so many children, at Mum's housework was done every single morning. No getting up and dashing off for the day to be young and carefree. So, as a young Mum, I thought that all of this cleaning was just what you did, and I did it. And don't get me started on the mountains of washing at Mum's home every day when she had children at home, that we did for her in the weekends. Yep, I do washing a lot too. And so do my adult kids. 

graciousness is a form of niceness, too

I'm also looking at ways to add a bit more graciousness to my home life:
  • I really want to have more flowers inside the home. I used to just go for walks and pick them from berms. But where I live now, that might not go down so well with the neighbours.
  • resuming lighting evening incense. I'm really fussy about the scents that I use as I can and do get migraines from some smells.
  • I'm now going to use candlelight of an evening. Because - why not? I always have only subdued lighting in the evenings. It's my feeling that it's much better for our hormones and body rhythms
  • nice music playing whilst I'm cleaning. Some people, myself included, can't focus our minds when music is playing. So for writing ? No. But I can boogie along whilst cleaning.
  • I need to start using perfume again. Yes, I do.
missing the family

I'm hanging out to see my great grandson who is a big boy now, what with being four and all. Because of our two lockdowns, I've only seen him once since March. I might be gatecrashing a family visit to an animal park-cafe where children are allowed to pat the birds and animals. Toby, his Mum (grand daughter), my youngest daughter and her six month old baby are going to visit there with the littlies. Toby is so fortunate, he has grown up around dogs, chickens, sheep, cows and minature ponies (who absolutely love him), at his Nannie's farm. 

an unusual nice thing to do, for moi

I'm really excited as I've found someone whom I can pass on some of my energy healing work to. I so wanted it to be someone who is deserving of it, so this is something special for me to look forward to. I used to take seminars teaching energy healing, but am not ready to resume this.

I'm putting some thought into all of this niceness and rituals thing. As it looks as though that virus is going to be with us, I'm thinking that it'll help mentally and emotionally to have some lovely things to look forward to, and little rituals, in our lives.

Does anyone have their own special things that they do to make life nice that they'd like to share?




Comments

  1. I enjoy reading about your childhood and how your mother and your Nanna influenced you. We do learn a lot from them, don't we?

    Afternoon tea was part of my childhood, too; it was accompanied by some kind of snack. These days, I still have a cup of tea every afternoon, with some cookies or crackers or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I've left something in my grand children's hearts. I know each of them what their own special talents are, and I've always loved to encourage them. Afternoon tea - a time to pause before the evening.

      Delete
  2. I think having conscious rituals in our lives can bring us a lot of contentment and happiness. I love the dancing rainbows in my room, created by the sun and my crystals. And every morning I open my windows wide to let the fresh air enter. Just two little things that I actively promote to make my life a little nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Margaret. Those crystals are so lovely. Ido the fresh air thing too. Even when it's freezing.

      Delete
  3. Don't fall asleep with the candle on mum x At the top of Triangle Road on Don Buck there is a dairy that sells 3 bunches of flowers for $15..some kind of chrysanthemum or daisy & other types that you can mix & match. They last for AGES, I've had mine for at least two weeks & they are still looking great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candle in lounge only - I'm so neurotic about fires etc. Even turn off my stove each time I turn an element or the oven off. Triangle Rd..... I could get flowers, swing left and end up at yours?

      Delete
  4. Greetings from Gisborne Ratnamurti. Been thinking on this same thing of late and have been focusing on my own and reintegrating past ones that were beneficial in my life. Topic of self-care/rituals was session in a Hospice workshop on working in palliative care). I shared this one: In mornings while I cook my morning porridge, I do a thing I call 'spinning my rainbows'. At kitchen window I have a radio tuned to either Classic FM or The Sound (oldies) and above this a hanging crystal that catches morning sun. So, I spin the orb, filling kitchen & open plan lounge with rainbows. Somedays, I just watch in awe as I stir, others, depending on the music I encounter I can go totally disco/loco. Different days, different responses. One day I'll be doing the twist and belting out a tune, the next it might be washing dishes to a full orchestra and me conducting with the dishbrush. Totally bonkers, totally free and sets me up for the day. Love your post because I recognised nhow my rainbow time is between the porridge pot (my dear Nana's daily breakfast, visitng or when living with her my job was to make the porridge) and a good strong coffee (my Mum's go-to drink). I hadn't thought on how my daily menu is like a DNA from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those hanging crystals and this is the first time that I haven't had one in years. The DNA thing is fascinating. When I eat the foods that my own immediate ancestors lived on for years, my life force bumps up. Porridge and kai moana being two of them from different lines. I love the work that Hospices do, we are so lucky in our country that we have this.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely read! Weren't you lucky to have two grandmothers, I only knew my maternal grandma, who lived at Stonecroft before we bought it. She was an elegant lady, I never saw her looking less than perfectly groomed, she never went bare-legged even on the hottest days or left the house without gloves.
    Like you I enjoy music when I'm cleaning, sewing or decorating. Jon needs it on all the time, apparently a lot of musicians do, they can't function without background noise. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandmother sounds like my own English grandmother, Vix. I lived with her during my teens and she shpaed my life in the loveliest way possible. Aren't we lucky to have had those influences? I work in a healing clinic and the clinic boss was a former reggae muso - try doing peace and light healing with regae and also spanish singers raging away. Still your comment has now made me understand my boss easier.

      Delete
  6. Hi, ratnamurti - I love your reminder of so many different rituals we can do to make life nicer! I'm going to have to try incense in the evenings as it has been so long since I have used mine. And I was just wondering why I don't spend money on flowers to brighten my home. Thanks! - Angie, www.yourtrueselfblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog, Angie. And yes, little things do add up as do little nice things

      Delete
  7. Nice can be such a bland word if used sloppily, but you're filling it up with so much goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post and message, Ratnamurti! I think little rituals and such are the things that give us the best memories sometimes. Remembering how our elders did certain things and embracing them for their niceness. That is what my mother always taught me...if you can't be anything else in life, at least be kind. And I strive every day to live up to that. I also teach my kids the same. Thanks for linking up with me!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum was like that too, Shelbee. I do believe that it helps children, teens and adults feel better about themselves, too

      Delete

Post a Comment