that was the year that was

2019 review from moi 

2019 in review
I'm not sure that this is always the best thing, going over everything all of the time. But because I can feel a new-to-me life on the horizon of 2020, I'm looking at what I did and didn't achieve in 2019; lessons learnt;  and so forth. In a pondering let go of and move forward type of way, on one hand. And yes! hold fast to this and that, on the other hand.

best news

I've been involved in yoga spirituality for decades, and Maori spirituality for ten years. But the most spiritual moments of all, for me, have been the birth of new life. The magic and hope of creation. Something that is greater than us. And this year, I had the wonderful news of a new granddaughter. She's almost here. I was a working solo mum with my youngest child, and my eldest grandchildren are her age and just a few years younger. Then a couple between twenty and sixteen. So, I didn't have much time to spend with all of them. Which I have always felt a sense of loss over. But I am to be spending more time with New Baby Girl, so I feel very privileged. Without a doubt, this is my best news of 2019.


studying

It's quite obvious that I am not an auditory person, so learning a new language has not been easy. But studying te reo Maori has been fantastic. Even though I do have a long way to go. I hope to go back as a visitor to the new beginners course at the local Marae, for however long I can. And do the next level at night school, two nights a week. In the meantime, I have Scotty Morrison's amazing first four workbooks, so I'm aiming for thirty minutes of revision daily. The biggest problem has been that I do not have someone to regularly converse with in Maori. My great grandchild, at the age of three, can already talk some Maori, so hello Toby..... do you want to chat in te reo with Granny?


health

This has been a "what the?" year, health wise. Auckland had a number of very determined viruses whipping violently through our city. It seemed to be about six months of infectious bugs. One in particular just kept coming back. It was not pleasant. I was sick just too often. I do think that I need to build up my immunity. With:

  • going to bed earlier. It fits in better with our cortisol rhythms. When cortisol (the stress hormone) is low, we need to sleep, and this happens before midnight mostly
  • I'm really sensitive. I have food allergies, am affected by faintly toxic smells, humidity, and dampness. All of these lower my immunity, so some new coping strategies are in order
  • time to tidy up The Food Thing with maybe juices which make me feel so good. And get even stronger with the no-sugar thing. Sugar makes my body quite weak
  • yoga is really helpful for immunity in that it reduces stress so well. I have moved it to evening as this is when I really need to slow down
  • meditation helps too. However as a long time meditation teacher I do not believe that it is for everyone. But it is for me, first thing each morning
  • yoga breathing as in the cleansing breaths keep my immunity up. If I actually do them, that is. I really sloped off this year. Not a good look
  • the very best way that I personally know of to have good health and resistance to bugs, is to go walking in all weather. From sunny through to cold rain. This is best done in the morning for me
  • a cold or somewhat cool sortie under the shower at the end of your nice warm one, I find this really makes an effect with immunity, too
  • for may people, going to the gym, or running, sports, whatever, not only helps deal with stress but also thereby building up immunity

work

  • I take a couple of private yoga classes each week, and a few seminars throughout the year. Which I really love doing
  • I've been a healer for twenty-five years, and I love doing this too. I don't advertise, people contact me. What I do is really very niche. I don't do massage, hard physical stuff, chakra balance. I do intense mental, emotional and DNA healing. Not the sort of healing that you would do for hours each day, though
  • I have a new direction with work, using my own knowledge from living a life, and spirituality. Mostly yoga

So that's all sorted. What isn't yet, is being organised with it all. I am. But not enough. I am that weird person who does best with a structured daily and weekly timetable. And if something interesting comes up, I am also okay with letting go of that day's timetable and just enjoying myself.

blogging

I have quietly and steadfastly been working towards a direction with my two blogs. I had hoped to do more however life over the past two years simply got in the way. For most of that time I didn't really have space nor privacy to write, which really affected my plans, but hey, now I have. I love having my blogs. On my yoga one, I've been going through an ancient yoga scripture. I know that this really only appeals to yoga people,  but I'm okay with that. 

my plan

  • looking at what I've be doing, or the way that I've been, in most areas of my life
  • having a look at what could be changed for the better, whether it's what, how, why and so forth, or even eliminated
  • how I would like things to be
  • and most importantly: the changes that I can make that are doable and achievable in regards to how I would like things turning out, being
I don't mind if things aren't perfect.  I'm okay with changing and seeing what does and doesn't work. And this is my direction for 2020. Get some things established in a more meaningful, doable way. Because it's going to be a busy year, and I'd like to enjoy the journey.

What about you?






Comments

  1. Congratulations on the new granddaughter soon to be born! How wonderful and exciting! I hope you get to spend lots of time with her.

    I love this sort of year end reviews. It's not good to dwell in the past, but, it is good to review before letting most of it go and moving on. It sounds like, over all, other than some ill health and perhaps some bumpy spots, the year was a good one and that is a blessing, isn't it?

    I wish you a very happy New Year; may 2020 be filled with happiness, good health, and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Bless. I wish the same for you, too!!! Yes, a lot happened 2019, and the biggest blessing of all came out of it, lucky me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment