moving in different worlds

                             


I moved from one world, into another, when I was young

When I was twelve, I went to live with Dad, and my beloved Nanna, Grandad, and Aunty who was only eighteen months older than myself. I have been grateful for this my whole life. 

I entered a different world from the one that I knew. It was a lovely, gracious, idyllic world that I went to. 

As the eldest of five little girls, I had come from a world of responsibilities, with very little free time, and Mum didn't have much money.  I recall how, if there was free time whilst I was still living with Mum, I would hide quietly reading whatever I could find to read, hoping that she wouldn't notice me, so that I could have some time off chores. I am not complaining. This is simply the way that it is, in a big family. The eldest do as much as they can to help. I loved my Mum, and hated seeing how much work she had to do. Mountains of washing every day, using an old copper and boiling hot water, then in time moving onto a wringer washing machine. Washing and sweeping the bare floors. Tons of dishes. Five children to care for. I did Mum's shopping for her from a young age, as the shops were some distance away and she couldn't leave a baby or toddlers to go and buy bread, or whatever.

Whereas at Nanna's, I had tons of free time. Most of which was spent at the beach with my new best friend. I had chores too. But not many. 

My best friend from that time has often talked about what a privileged life that we led. But how she never knew. Because it was the only life she had known. I knew, though. And I certainly appreciated it.

each of our worlds has it's own gifts

I often say that I was a child of two worlds. Even now, I consider myself a person who moves in many worlds. All of which I am quite comfortable with. Because I know them. And I understand them all. Being a Libran who often sees the world through rose tinted glasses, I still look for the best in each world. And, why wouldn't a person do that? There is value in everything. 

my Dad could mix with anyone

It was not just moving into a new life that made it easy to move indifferent worlds. It was also my Dad. This was one of his qualities which I so admired. Dad could move in many worlds. Both of my parents were born just before the Great Depression, so almost  everyone had very little money, no matter what kind of world you had come from. But Dad had come from a relatively elegant world of ease, compared to most people in New Zealand. 

So, he had the ways and manners which reflected that. Sometimes when I went to live with Nanna, he would take me to his friends' to play with their children whilst he hung with the adults. I recall going to a Maori family's home. Young, not much money. Kids everywhere. Out came the guitars, lots of singing. One of Dad's worlds. Of course, I so knew that world. I slotted right in. I was 'at home'. Instantly.

Dad was only in his early thirties at that time, so in a way he was still an out and about young man. Interestingly, not all of his friends were young. He took me to have a small holiday at an older Maori lady friend's home, on my own. It was just like being in Nanna's world, so that was easy for me, too. Ivy fascinated me. She was so quietly cultured. It's a particular way of being that many older Maori had. I don't know why Dad took me there to stay, I didn't know her, but I was grateful and I loved it. I can still see her beautiful home, in my mind's eye. I eagerly asked her lots of questions. Ivy taught me, by just being herself, that everyone has a story. That everyone is interesting. From Ivy, I always know that if I am with an older person, to ask questions about times in their lives. Real history will come out. A real treasure!

Dad's special times with his Grandparents

When the Great Depression was happening, Dad was sent to live with his Dad's parents, in Taranaki. He told me how he was one of the few kids who had boots to wear. Not many people had money for shoes for their children. Great Gran was such a lovely person, I know it was so special for him to be there. He said that he loved it. His eyes lit up as he told me about it. 

Great Grand-dad spoke eight Maori languages, or dialects. On Friday nights, he would take Dad into the local township, which quite likely was more of a village in those days, to meet up with Great Grand-dad's Maori friends. The women had their best clothes on, with scarves wrapped around their heads, as per the style of the time. The men wore suits and bowler hats. In those days, men wore a particular type of large watch on a chain, called a fob watch, and that watch would tuck into a suit pocket on the chest, called a fob pocket. The Maori men wore their large tikis instead, on a chain, tucked into these pockets. 

                                        Image result for tiki

A tiki is an ancient symbol, with a deep esoteric meaning to do with Gods and creation of people. However for international purposes it might be easier to explain it as a symbol of fertility and good luck, and tikis are considered to be special gifts. 

Dad 'left' some of his legacy within me

When I last saw Dad, a few months before he died, I suggested that it would be good to tape him talking about those times, but sadly he passed over a few months later. So much history of our family dies, unknown, when we do not allow older people to reminisce. That history is part of us, too. 

As I said, I am very grateful for these Lessons of Life, which I learnt during my years with my new family. They enabled me to move freely in other worlds, to understand that things are different in various life situations, and that this is okay, that it all just adds to the richness of Life.

I became a healer of the ancient Maori modality, called Romiromi, about ten years ago, at the same time studying the deep spirituality of the Maori culture. This year I have been learning the language. I am quite sure that Dad would have liked to know that I have been doing all of this.





Comments

  1. You've had a very interesting life! I'm sure your father would have liked what you've been doing. My father died when I was 7; I really didn't get to know him as a person, just what people have told me about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dad would have loved it. Hold onto stories of your Dad, Bless, keep them in your heart.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories of our father and your Nanna, your Granddad and your Aunty, Ratnamurti. I had wondered whether you were of Maori descent, and how great is it that you are learning even more about the Maori culture and are a healer. I presume from what you have said that your parents separated, but you kept in touch with them both. May you continue to enjoy life and never cease learning.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margaret, English, Maori, Jewish, with some Polish and Prussian in there too.

      Delete
  3. So healthy to process your history as you are. Visiting you today from the spread the kindness link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ratnamurti, this is such a beautiful post! My mind’s eye could picture so much detail from your description. I, too, feel like I can fit into most worlds. I have always said that I would be just as comfortable dining at a royal table as I would be sitting at a bus stop sharing a sandwich with a homeless person. I have never done the former, but I have done the latter and l know that I can easily acclimate to most situations. Thanks so much for sharing this bit of your history and for painting a heart warming picture.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelbee. It sounds as though you have The Common Touch. It's a special ability of being able to interact with anybody, from kings to homeless

      Delete

Post a Comment