one week restore: clean and tidy

 sounds so lame

but I have found, for myself,

that having some order, some tidiness in my life

mysteriously makes my life easier

and I'm clean anyway, but I thought that "clean and tidy" sounded good ......

Photo by Estúdio Bloom on Unsplash

Whenever I need to restore myself, I always have to do a few things first. Like "setting the stage" aka prior preparation.

first up is moi-self

I have a good "scrub up" of moi: 

  • a bit of extra grooming, like dyeing my roots, maybe a hair trim. 
  • mend my clothes. Sort out new combinations of my existing clothes.
  • make sure I get clean and tidy each morning
then the abode

I do know that when we clean and dust, we create negative ions in our home. These are little airborne particles which make us feel good, like when we are in nature. So:

  • a bit of extra dusting, wiping, polishing, shaking of mats, vacuming
  • have a ruthless biff-out and organise a box for the op-shop. Who am I kidding? I always have a box on-the-go for a drop off
Somehow this makes me not only feel good, but extremely virtuous also. 

then heart and mind

I am 100% over "thought and emotion police". You know, those people who "know best" and who correct others. Constantly. And New Age or spiritual dogma. Talk about all of that stuff cluttering our heart, emotions, and mind. Then creating unwellness on the mental and physical level.

I would always say: do not listen to any of it. 

My own hints from a long life:
  • listen to one's own heart
  • feel what our emotions are telling us
  • find ways to act on those troubling thoughts by doing something about them

These three guidelines, honestly - I do believe that they can help us all. 

Best way to clean and tidy oneself on the very important inner levels. 

What are your own hints?


** you might also like the previous one week restore, which is here
** or this post about decluttering
** or this post from a vintage book review that I did a few years ago on fashion
** or hints for when we are feeling "down

Comments

  1. I've always been too busy/pre-occupied to bother with housework and now I'm finding it such a joyful way to pass the time, taking pride in the things I've found in charity shops, rescued from skips, inherited or bought at car boot sales over the years rather than just acquiring them and hunting for more.
    I love the feeling of having everything in order, I can put my hand to everything now as I regular tip drawers and cupboards upside down and out everything away neatly. Paperwork is dealt with on arrival rather than shoved away for another day and I notice when things are running low and reorder on-line instead of having to run to the shops as the toothpaste tube is empty.
    I've found setting a few hours aside each week for self-care is a brilliant thing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I am so impressed by your self-care Saturdays. I used to do it Friday nights, but somehow stopped (silly moi). Your home is looking amazing. I agree with the joy of looking after our treasures.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree, I used to loathe housework and I still get annoyed at the other inhabitants and their grot, but the personal care and the sorting of ones personal space make a huge difference to feeling valued and all is in order. I actually enjoy ironing and sorting my wardrobe as opening a drawer or cupboard feels quite a lovely experience to see it all in order, likewise the self/skin care - much better once it has been done and you feel all together. One of my favourite things is a clean bedroom, clean bedding, clean pyjamas and clean me - blissful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that's one of my favourite things too. Especially if I've also just washed my hair!!

      Delete
  3. Clean and tidy - I'm trying! Especially with the house. I have a cleaning routine that I try to follow, each week. Sometimes, however, it all goes awry and good intentions aren't enough, are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle. My good intentions are often overtaken by life.

      Delete
  4. Bizarre as it may sound, my desk is almost always in a perpetual mess - yet I can function remarkably well. Having said that, the rest of my studio and my home has to be organized for me to stay sane :)
    Thank you very much for sharing your tips with us at Meraki Link Party.
    Much love
    Naush

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment