legacy


I have been reflecting about legacies
they are so important


The above photo popped up in facebook this week. My Mum is on the left. I miss her still. It's been over twenty years since she passed over. Her children, grand children, and the great grandchildren who knew her, we all talk of her fondly. She left us all a legacy of a hard working, kind, full of laughter, and very wise person. She touched the lives of so many. Had many friends, like Val, above. Quietly helped out many women. Mum was her own person.

Mum had eight children, seven of whom were girls. She had to learn to be strong as a young mother. Had to go to work in the afternoons and evenings to support her children. They were not great jobs, they were hard physical work. Initially she was a cleaner for many years. I have vivid memories of us going to work with her in the evenings when I was just six. So obviously she couldn't afford a sitter.  There were five girls at this stage, one was just a baby. I had to keep us quiet and still in a cluster in a corner whilst she cleaned. We went home late when she had finished. Night work. Long walk to the bus, bus, ferry to town. Then the same home. Many years later, when I was living with Nanna, one of my sisters would go to work at nights with her when Mum was pregnant, and do the heavy work.

One of her great-great-children, little Toby who is a very big four year old now, (and my beloved great grandson) was shown the photo of Mum, and another of her with Poppa Joe (my Stepfather) and I realised just how important it was for these wee ones to know that they are part of a whole.  They are from Somewhere. From Someone, several Someones, going back in time. People and places that they don't know, but hear of. And Toby found out that his Nannie (my eldest), she had a Nanna too. And Nannie and Mum loved their Nanna just as he loves all of his. Such big concepts when we are so little. 

I vividly remember meeting my Nanna's parents when I was young. I knew, I just knew, that somehow I was a part of them, and that they were a part of me. My young mind didn't understand lots, but those things I did know in that moment. I also knew that I was special to them because of the way they smiled at my sisters and I, and the love in their voices when they spoke to us.  

Years later, in my when I was twelve, I went to Grandad's Mother's house. I remember this still. Her smile. Her garden. I felt so lucky to be doing this. Gran Inch had a serenity that only comes from someone who lives their devout Path. On meeting Gran, I was inspired to truly believe at that young age of twelve, that when I grew old (!) that I was supposed to be kind and smiley like Gran, too.

These decisions that we make in our young minds, based on what we see, feel, and hear, influence our lives so strongly. Often we don't realise. 

young Mum, probably in her teens   

When I studied te Reo Maori last year, we each did our family lineage, and we were to choose a parent and go back through generations. I chose Mum and her female line. We had to go back to our great-great grandparents time. Which was about the time that many settlers were coming to New Zealand, in the mid to late 1800s. This was fascinating. Luckily we now have Ancestry.com. It makes it so much easier.  

It helped me see who I was.

It is important to acknowledge those who have gone before us. We carry their DNA, and experiences. In this way, they live on. As well, of course, 

forever in our hearts






Comments

  1. I loved and still love Nana so much, I remember how I felt around her, I remember that I wanted to be like her.She was definitely one of the most important influences in my life, I hold her in my heart, and I feel truly blessed and special to have been part of her life, one of her tribe. She was a true Matriarch & people loved to be around her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she just so amazing. So many happy memories for you. Your own grandchild loves you as much xxxx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful photo of your teenage mum and I love the one of her and her friend, Val. Her smile says it all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She smiled a lot, Vix. That's what most of her large extended family remember xxxxx

      Delete
  3. Your mom, has struggled immensely. May the Almighty God bless her with peace in the hereafter.
    We host a blog link party over at www.doodlebuddies.net. It would be great if you would link your post in Meraki Link Party on Monday.
    Much love to you and your siblings
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother was so beautiful. This post was so moving, Ratnamurti. Both of my parents passed away long before I met my husband so our children have never known their maternal grandparents. I am always sharing stories about my parents with them and they are always interested in learning. It is how we keep our loved ones with us. Thanks for sharing this lovely tribute to your mom.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelbee. Your boys are growing up with a lovely mother, for sure

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to your mum and your family, I think not only do we learn lessons on this earth but sometimes families are meant to as well. It is interesting to see that you consciously chose/knew from such an early age what your path was and you had such inspiration to guide you - I often think very young children know and figure these things out. I didn't know my mothers parents and my fathers parents didnt have a good relationship with my mother but I saw the havoc my mother caused by her difficult relationships with so many family members that I knew instinctively I was never going to fall out with my sister and I was never going to fall out with any other family member - that was from a very young age too, sometimes you just know your direction/priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet that is so amazing to make those decisions so young (old wise soul)

      Delete
  6. Your mother not only looked beautiful, but, she sounds like she was a lovely person, as well. I'm glad you are there to help carry on the legacy she passed on to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum and I were so different in so many ways, yet so similar in others. I hope in my heart that my children, grand children and great grandchildren love me as much

      Delete

Post a Comment