More being more youthful

                  
                         Image result for 1970s shag hair do
                                   (1970s shag hairdo)

Le haircut

Our hair dilemma


What is it about our hair? If it's straight, we want curls. If it's curly, we straighten it. I have baby fine, straight hair. It's so thin, that it's hard to see any strands that fall out. I kid you not. But luckily I have quite a bit of hair, so it just looks, well, thin, but not as thin as it could be. It doesn't hold blow-dries, nor curls, so I am quite restricted with what I can do with my crowning glory. I can't dry it straightened with any ironing type device, either, as that naturally makes any hair look thinner.


And, interestingly, I have noticed that people who have glorious curly hair, they look so much better when they stop straightening it. Something to do, I feel, with the fact that our natural un-mucked about with mop of hair, is best suited to our face. Strange that....

My best ever hairdresser/s

When I was a young mum, I met the Most Important Man in my life: a fantastic hairdresser! An amazing cutter. For many years he cut my hair, in what was called a Shag. Because, it was shaggy. Contoured to my face to give a bit of height, just by fluffing it up, with long wispy strands on the lower part of my hair. Best hair cutter I ever knew. This was decades ago. And I used an organic shampoo bar plus a vinegar rinse when I washed my hair.

 Life happened and now he lives elsewhere. (Yes, I know, sad story)  Since all of those years ago, I have only had two (two!)  decent haircuts. I'd ask for layered cuts and get chunk cuts. Or had my hair cut like a helmet to fit my head. Also, cuts that were suited to thick hair. (all very traumatic) 

Until recently. I was having a catch up with a very glamorous friend. I needed a trim, and wanted to sneak into an el cheapo place, but was worried that my friend would see how desperate I'd become, hair-wise. So I snuck outside of the mall, and found another salon. I just asked the hairdresser to make me look nice. This wonderful young man, he gave me a modern shag! It is amazing. I was fascinated at how he cut my hair, and made my ole fave haircut modern. I am in hair heaven. And, I've had lots of compliments about it. I feel reborn. Such is the power of a good, flattering, haircut.

How our hair can make us look more youthful

What has all of my hair saga got to do with being youthful? Well, for one, my hair moves. Very important. You can have a youthful hair style but if your hair doesn't move, well, that's kind of 'old'.


We all have a best hairstyle. Our 'look'. The one that we can do ourselves, that flatters us. And, one that also moves with the times. My older shag was feather-cut in layers, and the layers were visible. This modern one is layered underneath the top feathery parts, giving me more body. I look current. And these two elements keep us youthful, too: hair that flatters, and is current.


our hair should move, be flattering, be current, and  have our own distinct 'look'

By the way, I live in west Auckland, so I'm a 'Westie'. And, I do not have the Westie mullet hairdo, which is so-o-o 1970s. Just saying.





Comments

  1. Fighting one's natural texture (and for me, color) is not a battle to choose! Going with what nature gave you and making the most of it is a good use of time, resources, and an exercise in gratitude. Can't we all use a little more gratitude?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment