The Great Declutter and Reorganise

                 This is me

A few years ago, I was moving house. I was so overwhelmed. So, each afternoon, I'd sit in a worried stupor in front of tv, feeling immobilised, unable to sort, clear and pack. And I kid you not, there was always a hoarder programme on! Talk about getting to me. I'd move really fast afterwards, biffing, packing and cleaning. It was bizarre. I didn't have much, but had been there seven years and a daughter had lived there too for three years, so we had a few more belongings than we needed (to be polite). It was a turning point in my decluttering habits, as, even though I hadn't accrued much, I wasn't clearing out often enough.

my new moi programme

I have joined in on fellow kiwi blogger Fiona Ferris of howtobechic.com, her end of year project of getting everything in her life, including herself, decluttered and organised. To put it briefly.

I love Fiona's blog and joined in with her, a couple of years ago, for a month of Being Chic, which I really enjoyed. It was fun, and made me realise how I'd like to externally express myself, with clothes and also, my home.

But now it's The Great Sort Out. And don't ask me why I decided to start this on birthday week and celebrations. Only Christmas could have been a worse time.  Things have come into my sparsely decorated abode: skin care, make-up, lotions, a vintage spice shelf thingey, a book, and an antique washstand (which I am in love with) and large painting are soon to arrive. Not to mention second hand books and library books.

It's like, I made The Big Sort Out decision, and all of this Stuff poured into my home. Lucky me, actually, it's all lovely gifts.

I am very visual, and decluttering has to be a way of life for me, as mess disturbs me visually. And I find it invasive when there are too many belongings which are taking up all of the room available. Because I am more introverted, I am very aware of my need for space, as in not filling up walls, surfaces, and floors, with belongings. And stuff everywhere is also visual distracting, to me.  I can't write nor study in such a scenario. I know that everyone is not this way, but I am. 

Trust me, if you've decluttered fairly often, as a matter of course, and then suddenly have to move house, it's w-a-y easier, than if one has been hunter-gathering "stuff", without also biffing. 

so, how do we get started?

first, declutter

  • Clear the decks. 
  • Tidy up before I start. Well, I don't have too many belongings, including dishes, so that's the easy part. In other words, tidy the home. It's the pits trying to sort out things when there is mess everywhere.

Sorting out belongings can be stressful. It's not just the useless stuff that we are going through, and then (hopefully) throwing away; it's also deciding what memories to keep. 
  • So maybe, it's first and foremost: make it as easy as you can. 
  • And, another of my own hints is: don't do everything all at once. It's just too overwhelming. Why not just do it more often?

it helps to declutter, often

I've done this for quite a few years now, mainly because of the reasons I gave (and the house moving episode). And I get "down" when everything is crowded. So, I automatically do my decluttering regularly. It really takes the pressure off, and becomes effortless. 

My main area of gathering is with second hand books. Those I love, I keep, but I also "pass on" any that I have no real "need" for (hehe, there is no "need" with me, I just keep those I love), go back to the op-shop.

But how do we declutter often, or even on an ongoing basis? Easily? My friend Trish, has such a clean and tidy home. I get a tad envious as it all looks so elegant. Her advice, which actually is very old-fashioned, but still totally relevant, is:

  • leave a room as you find it. I am assuming that the room was clean and tidy to begin with.
  • tidy up as you go. This is as simple as:

  • cleaning and putting away as you cook
  • doing dishes after a meal
  • making your bed early in the day
  • putting clothes in the laundry basket as you take them off
  • keeping on top of washing. Everyday, if necessary
  • giving the bathroom and toilet a quick wipe each day

All easy chores, which help to make our homes lovely and welcoming. If we do these quickly, moving a bit faster, it can become a habit. Then, when some more thorough cleaning is needed, it's easier, because the basics are always done. And, I find that it's just a nicer way to live. 

I can get a bit untidy when it's just me, so I make myself keep on top of things. Sometimes all of these  quick daily chores don't happen, but as no life is perfect, I'm okay with this. I also like to "air" the house, by opening doors and windows, which of course makes everything smell nice, too. 

the op-shops and moi

I always have a shopping bag for books and clothes to take to the op-shop, which now lives in my hall cupboard. Honestly, just this one habit makes decluttering so easy. As I move about my daily life, I just pop any belongings that I no longer need, into that bag. 

And when I go through my two clothes storage boxes at the beginning of each season, as I take clothes out and also as I'm storing clothes from the season just past, I always, absolutely always, have a wee biff out then, as well. 

My best clothes biff-outs have been joyous occasions, for they have happened when I've been gifted some nice (pre-loved) clothes.

None of my hints are rocket science. Do you have a system for dealing with belongings? I love hearing other people's ideas, and (ahem) "borrowing" them.










Comments

  1. Well done on all the decluttering! I am constantly trying to declutter, but, I have a hard time with parting with things (too many memories invested in them). Moving house is one of the best ways to declutter, I think, but, I've been in my current house for over 27 years! Still, I try to chip away at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy for me to declutter Bless, as I don't have much. I agree with Galant (Margaret) who says that she doesn't buy "stuff", as it makes it so much easier.

      Delete
  2. I try to declutter regularly. It's feels so good to be organized. Thanks for sharing your system.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I do to avoid being overwhelmed by 'stuff' is simply not to buy things (apart from books!) which need a 'home', somewhere in the house they have to be kept, either in a cupboard or on a shelf. It's OK to buy things which will eventually be used, such as cleaning fluids or perfumes and soaps, but ornaments I don't buy. Sometimes I am given them, which is different, but mainly I don't buy anything decorative, no matter how much I'm tempted. The last time I bought a vase was several years ago when I interviewed a glass blower for a magazine article. I bought two of her lovely pieces but after I've bought them (at enormous expense, I might add) I realized they just didn't look right in our home and I've passed them on to our son (who does like them). So while I tend to keep ephemera, photos, and of course, my books, I don't add to what's already here.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we are women with a similar heart and love for books. I love looking at your blog pictures; your home looks so nice.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand clutter being a distraction. I have to have organization or I am distracted. For me though, it’s not so much the number of items, but rather, do they have a place? And are they in their place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that, Michelle. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Makes it easier to find things, too

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great tips! I wish I were better at decluttering but it’s just not who I am. I think I fall somewhere in the middle. My desk is a mess and when it really gets to me that’s when I will do a massive no holds barred clean out. So while everything is not perfectly neat and tidy, I am comfortable in it. That being said, I cannot leave dirty dishes in the sink and laundry must be folded and put away immediately. All of those daily chores are never allowed to pile up or else it becomes too overwhelming. I have been in homes on both extremes from mine and again I do believe that I sit comfortably somewhere in the middle. I cannot watch hoarder shows on tv because I get severe anxiety when I see that level of clutter! Thanks for sharing and linking up.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Shelbee, we have to be comfortable with things. Too tidy can be sterile, too messy is overwhelming. For me, anyway. Thanks for the nice comment xxxx

      Delete
  7. "I am very visual, and decluttering has to be a way of life for me, as mess disturbs me visually. And I find it invasive when there are too many belongings which are taking up all of the room available. Because I am more introverted, I am very aware of my need for space, as in not filling up walls, surfaces, and floors, with belongings. And stuff everywhere is also visual distracting, to me. I can't write nor study in such a scenario. I know that everyone is not this way, but I am. " Goodness me, I could have written this, it describes my attitude to clutter perfectly! My Mum was a hoarder and it scarred me for live.

    Like you I always have a charity shop bag on the go, it hangs in our hallway and whenever I go into town I take it with me, even if it's just got a couple of books we've finished.

    Whenever I acquire more vintage clothes or accessories I remove at least three things from my collection and donate them to my stockroom.

    I don't own a vacuum cleaner (our house has wooden floors and antique rugs) - I sweep from top to bottom of the house once a week and beat my carpets outdoors - a great workout!

    I only use the washing machine when I have a full load - save the planet! Knickers and socks aside I value my clothes too much to wash them constantly - they didn't survive for 50 years by being constantly washed! Everything gets aired after wearing, spot cleaned if necessary and only washed if it really, really needs it - I'm clean! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment