how to work towards a goal

                   Related image

Occasionally, we just get "stuck"

Sometimes we have a period in our life when there is a goal that we are relentless about achieving, then maybe maintaining it. Other times, we just get flummoxed, overwhelmed, confused, don't know where to start....a myriad of reasons which block us.

Which is so exasperating!

Hints for Getting Things Done

So, to jog my own determination muscles, & memory, plus hand out what has worked for me, here are some of my hints & a few personal anecdotes about going for a goal & achieving it:

1) we need to make time for things. Sometimes it is so difficult. Say, for example, you want to get fit, & you decide that you want to go walking each day. You aim for a ridiculous length of a walk to immediately start with: mistake! Go for a shorter time & build it up, day by day or week by week. If you haven't got the time to block out the time for a walk (or whatever!), you can break it down into maybe 3 10 minute walks per day instead of 1/2 an hour. Look outside the square & see what you actually can fit in & go from there.

2) this is an unusual technique: for fitness, & the ole contrary routine has set in: make a tight fist of 1 hand, & flex your arm: say, "I'm doing this"! as you quickly visualise yourself at your sleekest.

3) train your brain: we need to "let our brain" know (that your goal is) what you are doing. So, first, write it down. Now read it out loud, or silently say the words. Feel it achieved, or happening, depending on what you have written, with excitement, Yep, strangely it works. We are engaging our senses which are so important with goals. We are also telling our reticular activating system (RAS), a small group pf nerves at the back of the brain which filter out information according to what is important to us. This system activates our dreams, & to make our dreams into a goal, we can give this system a helping hand.

4) the words that we use matter too. If we say: "I hope", that indicates uncertainty. "I want": this is a desire & is still indefinite. "I intend, I am": comments like this which are firm create a more definite attitude, showing that we mean it! Change your words if necessary until you get it right, until it feels right & invokes the right feelings of "I can! I will! I am!"

5) Read what you have written, when you wake up, & before sleep. Quickly visualise it, feel the excitement as you read it & say it. This is for subtle reinforcement.

6) Quickly visualise whatever you need to do, for your goal, done, during the day. For example, I am a writer. When I baulk, I quickly "see" that I've just completed writing for the day. And I then find that I just can't stop myself doing it, it's effortless! You can use this too on waking or as you go to sleep. It's a quick technique & is easy.

7) back to the RAS: we can also provide it with "proof" that something is happening, thereby making this part of the nervous system more active in achieving our goal/dream. I learnt this during a traumatic time in my life when I went to a counsellor who used a particular therapy. I know that a lot of people have a gratitude journal, & in a way, this is similar. This is what she taught me: have a journal, notebook, whatever, where each day you write out proof that your goal is happening. Maybe you are an overwhelmed office worker & you have been given a project which is a bit scary, or hard to fit in: whatever! Do your morning & evening card reading & if it's at work, maybe just before your work day starts & when it's just ended. The write down in your journal the proof that it's happening: for example, a phone call which you made that relates to it, an email, some information that has come your way. Everything, no matter how small. Successes only. Do it every work day. Be diligent. New ideas & ways of doing things will mysteriously come to you. You will be surprised.

There are so many ways that we can use to make our life better, & to reveal our own uniqueness. Hopes, dreams, goals, we can make them a reality.


Comments