Warm weather food

Yes! The warmer weather has arrived. And with it, a few changes in le regime (my diet, aka what I eat). I really get miserable eating salads and cold food in the colder months, but, surprisingly, am quite happy to eat warm soups in summer. Mainly because they can be light soups. And warmer weather also means lighter food for me.

                            Image result for muesli with LSA

Breakfast

I've been making an uncooked muesli for breakfast, and soaking it in any sort of milk (cow, almond, rice,etc) whilst I do a wee bit of yoga in the mornings. I use what I have:
  • ordinary rolled oats
  • oatbran
  • wheatgerrn
  • LSA (ground almonds, sunflower seeds and linseeds) you can buy it in a supermarket
  • I also add vegetarian protein powder
You can also use:
  • dried fruits (which are too sugary for me), so I don't use them
  • raw or toasted pumpkin seeds
  • chia seeds
  • any nuts that you like
  • coconut
I just make a mix, pop it into a container, and leave it in the fridge. Enough for about two weeks. And I only use two heaped dessertspoonfuls at a time, as it's so filling. I also add yoghurt, and fresh fruit.

I have a cooked muesli, too. Although I would actually call it granola. Granola is cooked, and muesli (used to be) uncooked. And I sometimes have this. It's so easy.
  • one and a half cups of rolled oats. I don't use the steel cut for this, I just use ordinary Scotch Oats 
  • I have also done one cup of oats and a half cup of wheatgerm instead, so I would just use whatever you please
  • three quarters of a cup of LSA. Again, you can use whatever you want here with nuts and seeds. 
  • one tablespoon of fat: ghee, coconut oil, oil
  • one tablespoon of sweetener: honey or maple syrup
Melt the honey and oil (coconut and maple is rather delicious) in your roasting dish at a lowish heat, about 150 - 175 degrees Centigrade. Then take it out, and add the other ingredients, mixing them well. This doesn't take too long to cook, but I keep taking it out, and stirring it so that it browns easily. Light golden brown is the best colour, if you let it go longer, it burns really quickly. You can add dried fruit after it's cooked.

Drink your greens

I also like green drinks. I crave greens. Every time I go past the fridge, I am grabbing whatever is green and uncooked, and having a munch. Lettuce, celery, asparagus. I was recently waiting for someone outside a cafe, and noticed the cafe herb box outside. Munch, munch. Then I got told off.......
  • water, coconut water, if you have okay blood sugar, you might handle some fruit juice
  • green leaves. I have also used frozen spinach, but whatever you have is fine
  • extras like cucumber, parsley. Whatever you have
  • you can add fruit too: banana, apple, half each or whole, berries. Whatever you have (this is sounding like a new mantra) 
  • you could add a bit of super greens powder like vegetable powder, or antioxidant powder which really is pink and red food powder
  • ice is optional but not for me, I don't like freezing food
You can make just a small amount, and whizz it in your blender or nutribullet. You can make a fair bit, cover it, and keep it in the fridge. 

Drink your fruit and/or greens at breakfast

You can also use something like almond milk instead of water, and add some vegetable protein, for a breakfast smoothie. To make it more substantial, you could add chia seeds, or LSA. You could emphasise the fruit, or the vegetables, or a bit a both. The permeation are truly endless.

                            Image result for Smoothie

Chickpeas, Indian street-style

When I was on a radio show on Saturday mornings, I would go to the food hall next to it, for lunch. All sorts of Asian food, cooked on the spot. And a lovely Indian lady would rustle up this dish for me. Keeping in mind that I'm allergic to tomatoes, there are none in this dish, but you could add them, and you could also add a touch of chilli powder.

  • cooked chickpeas (out of a can is fine)
  • yoghurt
  • tamarind chutney to taste. You can also add a bit of mint chutney. Or just use any chutney (use what you have)
  • my special dish always had chopped cucumber, and sometimes thinly sliced shallots. You could use red onion, and any other available vegetables
  • left over diced potato is nice as an option, too. Even sauteed first is nice.
  • my dish always had lots of chopped coriander, which I love. If you have parsley, chives, basil, mint, you could use these instead
  • some cumin powder, not much
  • some salt
  • if you want to be really creative you could sprinkle some roasted pumpkin seeds over the top before serving
  • my mix was: chickpeas, tamarind chutney - not much, salt, cucumber, coriander, cumin
  • mix and enjoy. Eat slowly and savour.
                 
                          Image result for chickpeas in yoghurt

Comments

  1. We are entering our cold weather season! I made a big pot of soup, the other day, and have been having a bowl of it for dinner. I am not a big breakfast eater, but, have brunch, most days. I used to make smoothies more often than I do now; should try making some, again. Thank you for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chickpea recipe sounds amazing, I must try it!
    I am happy to eat soup in summer, too. Pea and mint is my favourite as it it’s flavour is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea and mint sound delicious. I shall try it too, thanks Sarah

      Delete
  3. Soup is so nourishing. Nice to hear from you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensible and commonsense ideas! I've printed off a copy of your chickpea recipe, I'm going to make that over the weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, Vix. And those clothes!!! (envy) I am an instant food person, and although I'm no longer completely vegetarian, it is nice, light, food for summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment