on being thrifty

                   Image result for papatuanuku goddess
        
                           Papatuanuku, our Earth Mother

Why be thrifty?

I confess that I am somewhat careful with money. And yet, I am often incredibly generous with what I have, when I have anything. A paradox, to be sure.


Why would I be this way? And not just with money, in relations to myself. I learnt, when I was twelve and went to live with my grandparents, and aunt who was less than two years older than me, that:

  • money and acquisitions are not synonymous with being happy or fulfilled
  • I learnt that how one's life was lived, was what made us have a better life
  • and that if we want to be affluent, it is generally not done by spending money unnecessarily
  • that if we look after what we have, and use what we have, we usually do not need to "get" more
  • I learnt to only buy what I needed, that looked good, and was quality, so that clothes lasted
  • I still live by all of this. I always have

Having said all of this, there have been many times in my life when being thrifty was a 100% necessity, when my income was extremely low.

What are the benefits of being thrifty?
  • for me, it means having a less cluttered life. Which I genuinely prefer
  • it's because I am careful with money that I am able to be generous where possible
  • I am independent, as I pay my own way

It's not just about the money

Gosh no. No, it's not. Not at all.

It's also about not trashing Papatuanuku, Mother Earth. Having respect for her and her gifts that she gives so freely, as we journey through life.

It's about ecology. Wanting our children and their children, and everyone's children, and the other creatures of our planet, to have a safe environment to grow up in.

It's about being grateful for whatever there is, such as food, water, fresh air. The real treasures of nature.

It's also about knowing:
  • I am enough
  • I have enough
  • there is enough if I need it

And certainly, as Christmas approaches, I feel this even more keenly. This year it will be simple for me, with a simple family get together later in the day, for those who can make it. 

And the thing is, when we are content with not having too much, we have time and space to live, and love. 






Comments

  1. I relate so much to this! I really like keeping things simple and was thrifty even as a teenager. Friends of ours sold their house and live on the road now in a van as full-time travelers. Sometimes I wonder if I could pare down that much....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be amazing to do that? I've lived a very rustic life, many years ago, and it was lovely. But it took up my whole life.

      Delete
  2. I try to be wise with my/our finances, for so many reasons, but mostly because being a good steward of the gifts I've been given means sharing them with others. Including my time and space on this Earth. Simplicity and clear space is key for me, but we all define those terms so differently. And yes, I know this comes across as hypocritical coming from a style-blogger. Someday, I'll be down to two suitcases...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuckle. I also love minimalist style. But I live with a flatmate who loves artistic clutter. So I feel hypocritical with the way that I live. So, what you say is so true about the way we define things. But, Liz, regarding your sharing, I have learnt so much from your blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment