Keeping on going

This has been a sad week in Aotearoa, New Zealand. With the keeping on going with life, for everyone. I do not know of one single person who can actually express their horror and grief at the massacre that happened in Christchurch. The whole nation is still in mourning.

Which, I feel, is how it should be. Life is never only about oneself. It's about everyone and everything. From all of nature through to each sentient being. And when bad things happen it is a mark of respect to retreat and allow those suffering to have their time to do whatever they need to do. 

So, how do we quietly keep on going? And, can we? I remember when my young cousin died and I was still a teenager, I was aghast that the sun was shining, that people were laughing and carrying on with their life. How could they? My youthful being could not understand this. 

But, life does continue. In one way or another.

So, how have I coped? Aside from my own tears and heartbreak for the families who are suffering? And others, what have I noticed that they did?

  • I know that everything is not about me. So, I made an extra effort to not make everyday "stuff" about me. Strangely, it did help.
  • I have been more grateful. 
  • I am learning Te Reo Maori (Maori language) at our local Marae. I could hear the children at the school there, doing long hakas and singing songs as laments for those departed. Hakas are truly amazing at expressing emotions and honouring, in this case, the recently departed. One of the special things on our Te Reo course, is that we are regularly chanting, or singing acknowledgements of respect, for those who are gone. And that's important, as our ancestors live on, in a way, in our DNA, and in our essence, and in our hearts. 
everyone whom we have ever loved, including animals, lives forever in our heart
  • people everywhere have been more considerate to each other
  • people are acknowledging each other more, with a friendly nod, or smile. This is so important. Each of us has a deep need to belong. And we all matter; we all belong. And when someone is suffering, knowing that others care, it really matters.
  • we are all resolute in removing hatred from our country

p.s. and our gun laws have rapidly been changed. With many farmers handing in their (legal) guns


                      Image result for christchurch massacre kiwi symbol









Comments

  1. I wept when I heard... I don't understand evil and hatred. It's exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is. We are such a multi cultural country. We are still mourning, as a nation, for those who have suffered.

      Delete

Post a Comment