What inspires us?

                               Image result for sufi quote on inspiration

What is inspiration?

Without looking up le dictionary, for me I would say that it is something which touches me in a heartfelt way. To lead me do particular things, or be a certain way. Often, it is people who, usually unwittingly, inspire us. And tonight, I sent some hours with M'seiur Google, looking up one man's story. His odyssey, if you like. From being rich and famous, but very sick with addiction, and lost, to happiness and wholeness. And he comes back to our country, every few years, to pay homage to the time, place, and culture, where he had a life changing epiphany. And to inspire others to stop taking drugs. He has inspired so many to do just that. Wherever he goes.


                                     Joe Walsh Troubadour 2012.jpg

Joe Walsh

We all know who The Eagles are. One of the greatest bands of all time. And Joe Walsh is one of the remaining original Eagles. Not many know that he lived in New Zealand after The Eagles disbanded, decades ago. Late 1980s. He performed with one of our much loved reggae groups: Herbs. Which is pretty amazing, within itself. Herbs was a predominantly Maori group.  Anyway, during this time, Joe was still full on immersed in the drug and alcohol scene. Because, hey, in those days, that was the rock performer culture.


Joe went with a Maori man to an historic site of an old Maori Pa. A Pa, you could say, is a Maori village. It's more than that, really, it's steeped in deep spirituality. But it's easier to understand as a village. And, in a moment of destiny, he had a moment in time, of  experiencing something different, his spirit was awakened. And he had a life changing epiphany: he had to stop (taking drugs and alcohol). He went on to do so, and has been free of them, to date, for 25 years. So inspiring.

What inspired me

These old Maori sites, they are full of deep vibrations. And that, in itself, is inspiring for me. Joe's story is mega-inspiring. But mostly, his humility and gratitude, for me, they are the most heartwarming inspiration of all. And his humility and gratitude for the Maori culture. Which was so evident on the videos that I watched (thank you, youtube).


We forget to be inspired 

Sometimes I feel that we forget that there is so much  to be inspired like that for. I know, when I'm having a crabby day, that I have completely forgotten how much wonderfulness that there is around me. I mean, really, anything can inspire. If we let it. Things which make our heart full, like Joe's story, most certainly. And so can a beautiful day. The wind rustling through the leaves on the trees (one of my favourite sounds). A child laughing. A bit of kindness. The list is endless.

Today, I am looking at all of these things that inspire me. I know that when we do this, we remember whom we are, what we want to stand for, what we would like to do, in the 'really matters' scheme of things. We remember our dreams, and hopes.

And so, I invite you to ponder: what inspires you?




Comments