I've been spa-ing!

                             Image result for queen elizabeth health complex
                                        QE Health Complex
Spa-ing

A new word, methinks. I have decided that it means "going to spas". Yes, more than one spa. I know. Lucky moi.


Off to Rotorua

When one of my dearest friends contacted me and asked if I'd like a trip to Rotorua with her and her partner, of course I said "yes". I was excited to be able to hang out with her for a few days, and also was amazed that they had organised spa visits. All expenses paid.


Wow.

So off we went.  A day trip through New Zealand is always lovely. The scenery always changes, the small  townships, or are they villages? are nice. The hills are almost everywhere. Farms, forest and bush abound.

the most magical place

                              Image result for fitzgerald glade

Just out of Rotorua is a stretch of road, called the Fitzgerald Glade. The trees in the bush either side of the road curve over towards the opposite side, creating a canopy. But, I swear, the whole atmosphere changes as you  come to it's entrance. For it honestly has a magical vibration. As you drive through the canopy, you can feel something exciting and special in the bush, as though this magical element moves either side of the car, as you're driving. New Zealand has lots of mystical places where you can honestly feel that something special has, or is, happening in these places.


dining

I've been to Rotorua a few times just for a meal, with my son and his family. As you do. Disappointingly, we didn't find any hangi (traditionally cooked Maori style) food. But the quality of the food everywhere was truly world class (take that, Auckland.... )


QE Health, Wellness and Spa

First up was a mud wrap, facial, then massage. I know. Tough. But someone has to do it. Amazing. This was at the famed QE (Queen Elizabeth) centre. It was used after World War 2 for rehabilitation for the soldiers. It has continued to be used as a therapy place for all sorts of conditions including fibromyalgia. There are all sorts of therapies employed, and of course there are the Hot Pools. When we went in through the main doors, I truly felt that I should bow in homage to all of the exemplary work that has been done there over the years. It was such a strong feeling inside of me. Something "hit" me as I came to the door: I could feel the tears, relief, and laughter, of years past.


Spa, spa, spa

I had a healing session elsewhere, which was advertised as Romiromi, which is the ancient Maori healing modality, which I have been doing for ten years. Disappointingly, it was not Romiromi, just a few of the moves, and was really mostly massage, including with hot stones.


I had a mud bath, back at QE. Hopefully to recover from the non-romiromi. Hilarious. Little short me, holding onto the sides of this ginormous tub filled with warm mud water, trying hard not to float around (or do I mean sink) in the pool sized bath. It was amazing though. And I nearly fell asleep afterwards.

That evening (we were only in Rotorua for two nights) we had a private rock pool by the lake. Oh my gosh. All of my aches and pains from ages past, simply disappeared.

There are two main types of hot pools in Rotorua. Acidic - known as the Priest pool due to the legend of a priest being cured of something whilst in one of these pools. And the Rachel pools, which are more alkaline. We were in a Rachel pool. I cannot describe how effective it was; amazing.

The next morning, leaving Rotorua, we headed towards Taupo for a short distance, to the Secret Spot, for coffee and cake on the deck, whilst we reclined and had our feet and legs in a hot tube. (Life is tough) An incredibly tranquil setting, just beautiful, and there were also big hot tubs. For some mysterious reason (sun, beautiful bush, coffee, cake, hot water leg and foot massage), we stayed ages. Loved it. 

It was probably one of the few times that I've been away anywhere for a few days just for a holiday. The last time that I was there was with my family: son, his wife (lovely honorary daughter), and a grandchild. We visited the lakes around Rotorua. And that's really nice too. And went through bush walks which were, well, magical.

The night that a mountain awoke


                            Image result for tarawera eruption 1886 facts
          artists view of the Pink and White Terraces

Rotorua has a lot of history, including an eruption of Mount Tarawera in 1886. It was devastating. The famous Pink and White Terraces (geo-thermal) were destroyed. We studied and translated a true story in our Te Reo Maori class about some people at The Terraces who were saved by a woman who took them into her Whare (house). They held up the ceiling to stop being buried alive. 

I was telling someone about our Rotorua holiday, and she told me an amazing story of one of her relatives of the time and place of the eruption, and how they were saved by a woman who took them to her home. I absolutely kid you not. I was gobsmacked.  
















Comments

  1. That sounds like a lovely holiday! I'm so glad your friends invited you and you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment