what I learnt in the 2010s

 some of moi's reflections, from the last decade 


                            
Beloved little Pixie.
                                             
I suppose that this really is a January 2020 post. But, you know, this past week I've been reflecting on the past decade. I am not one to habitually list successes, and figure out "what did I learn" from mishaps and mistakes. Who has time for all of that? But today I am. Just some of them.

There were definitely personal successes. Some which arose from mistakes. And many mishaps, of course. I've probably already forgotten many of my successes and mistakes, but here are just a few from that decade:

teaching yoga

I had a years of  teaching a lot of yoga classes each week. I felt that I'd done my time, over decades, of doing this, and during the 2010s, I stopped. I learnt to trust my instincts doing this, as I felt that it was time to let go.

For the same reason, and some not so good ones, I walked away from running public workshops. I've taken hundreds of them in life. And then, some years later, I started doing a few again. What I teach in these yoga seminars, no-one else does. It's very selective knowledge. So, yes, it felt good to do it again. And it was with a friend, Linsey Smith, at her studio in Helensville. I learnt that you can go back. In a different way.

I taught a yoga teacher training course in Bali. The participants loved it, especially the deep spirituality I brought to it. However, the management were, shall we say, a tad difficult (understatement), so it was "interesting". I learnt that in some situations you just have to do your best and that's all that you can do. (Actually I already knew that)

blogging

I became a blogger. I had felt, for many years prior, that I was supposed to be writing something like a magazine column. Which really confused me, as I didn't feel that I met the right criteria for that. Then I discovered blogs and realised that I was to go down this path. I started with one blog inspired by a radio show that I was doing. Then stopped it and started another three blogs, but one disappeared into the ether. I now do this one, and a spiritual one, which is mostly yoga. But I also have done clairvoyance and past lives on it as well. I found a very creative outlet with blogging.

Now this is a bit embarrassing, but I finally worked out how to do some things on and with my blog. I'm not the greatest on the internet, even though I spent a year learning how to do things on the internet at a school, in 2010, I think. That year was perhaps a big mistake. I've learnt most things on my own.

This blog was featured one month last year in a big fantastic international blog, notdressedaslamb which has a very big readership. I was gobsmacked. And thrilled

radio show

Going back to the radio show: how could I have missed it? A couple of years on a Saturday morning on Shannon's show at KFM, in Karangahape road, Auckland City. I had been asked to fill in for a friend's spot regarding mothers and children, whilst she went to live in Bali. The dj told me she didn't want that, she wanted chakras and stuff, which of course I was very knowledgeable about. The Boss heard me and put me on a prime spot with Shannon. I had so much fun doing this. We both laughed so much.

tranquility

I spent a couple of years living in a hidden very little cottage, surrounded by birds, trees. I grew vegetables. I loved it. I found myself in many ways.

Maori healing

I became a Maori healer in 2009. Which I had not planned to do at all, as I already had been a successful healer for fifteen years. I made some great lifelong friends. I love healing, really I do. Along with this, I studied deep Maori spirituality, which I loved. I intend to continue.

This all lead me to spend a year learning Maori protocol and language. I'm still revising what I have learnt, as I have such a long way to go. I have to let go of my insecurities here and just speak the language.

new family 

The loveliest little beloved fur grandchild entered my life, via one of my daughters: Pixie, a little black papillon-pomeranian with a white heart just below her neck, and big butterfly ears. Talk about love!!! How lucky we have all been having Little Miss Personality in our life

A great grandchild came into my life. Another Great Love. When these children arrive into our lives, it's as though you've known and loved them forever. In 2019, I found that another grandchild is coming. Any day now. Great excitement.

letting go

I learnt to Let Go. Of a lot of things which were taking up my life, and not in a good way. I learnt that I am no-one's keeper, which was such a relief. As part of this, I walked away from conflict, in personal situations and in professional life. A lot of soul-searching and bravery was needed, but I did it. The funny thing is, once I got past the emotional angst, life just got better, each time that I did it.

health

I had a long full-on battle with severe anemia. It impacted every area of my life. I was so exhausted. I was hospitalised twice for transfusions. One of those times was almost fatal. I seem to have it all on an even keel at the moment, thankfully, and feel as though, health wise, that I'm definitely On The Up.

finances

It was such a different decade, with a whole new direction in life for me, which had started in 2007. This of course was when the big recession started, and I too, was adversely affected during those years. I had periods of being really impoverished, but also years of working extremely long hours teaching yoga here there and everywhere each week to earn money. 
Phew!! as I look back. But I feel so different about this new decade. I'm in excited mode. I sort of can't wait.





Comments

  1. Sounds like you have had a very "interesting" past decade! Let's hope this new one will be more settled for you. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I hope the same for you, too xxxxx

      Delete
  2. Wow!! There’s so much growth in all this - you’ve had a most interesting interesting decade and sounds like there will be much to look forward to in this one!! I loved reading all about the things you’ve done, good stuff!!
    Donna 🧚🏻‍♀️❤️🐝
    https://donnadoesdresses.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. One of my adult kids always says of the two of us: "well at least it hasn't been a boring life".

      Delete
  3. What an amazing decade for you! Congrats on the success of your yoga site and I adore your cute pooch. Letting go is so hard but glad you found a way. Working on that myself!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting go - seems like we do it, then we have to do it again - and again......

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh you have certainly had a busy and fullfilling decade R. You must be excited about what's ahead in the next decade. I know how it feels to be severely anemic, been there, so exhausting! I'm definitely thinking about doing a yoga class this year 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yes it was a busy decade. It pays to shop around with yoga classes, because they all will be so different

      Delete

Post a Comment