how to make dhal

the most simple nutrious food?
it's dhal
good food in difficult times


(my son and I, so long ago)

In 1981, I went to live in a communal situation. To be honest, I was about to lose my job (which ended up not happening) and couldn't afford to pay rent for the flat I'd been sharing, as my flatmate had moved on, and I was also paying child support. I was offered to pay to live in a yoga centre. My options were very limited, so I joined a small yoga community. One of the first things that I learnt to do, was how to make dhal, which we used yellow split peas for. We ate it with a side of rice, and subji which was spiced cooked vegetables. Years later, many of us were still making it as a staple part of our diet, because
  • it's cheap
  • nutritious
  • quick to cook
  • fills hungry bellies
  • good food for the masses (when you have a lot of mouths to feed)
  • delicious
  • makes one feel good
These days you can get a lot of recipes for dhal on the internet and in books and magazines. Back then, you couldn't. My youngest and two eldest grandchildren were reared on it for many years. Then, one day, I was simply "over it". I'd had my fill, so to speak. But recently, I started really wanting dhal again.  

How I learnt to make dhal was Ashram style, or, poor feeding for the masses. I recall many a time having to make bread, dhal, and subji for up to fifty people on my own. In just a few hours. (this might have something to do with my long time lack of interest in cooking which followed)

how to cook very basic dhal

You can use red or yellow lentils, the fat ones are the best, yellow split peas, brown fat lentils, and a myriad of pulses which are best obtained from an Indian or Middle Eastern food shop. In a supermarket, which is what I'll focus on, the range is limited to
  • split peas, green or yellow
  • small red lentils
  • brown (not puy) lentils
  • green mong beans 
Wash whatever pulses (lentils, peas) you are using, with hot water. I just use a sieve because it's easier. This is to remove the sapons (soaps) which are what can cause gas. Put in a pot with no more than twice of that amount of water. Bring to boil and simmer. If you add some tumeric, less than half a teaspoon, it will soften the cooking time. Red lentils cook in 
about ten minutes, the others take maybe up to thirty minutes (actually I forget how long). Skim any froth off the top as they cook (sapons)

Whilst dhal is happily simmering, just keep an eye on the water in case you need to add a bit more, stir occassionally as it does love to stick to the bottom of the pot and burn (or is it just me who does that?). If you add too much it will be too liquid, but without enough water, it will burn. 

Heat some fat (oil, ghee so yummy, coconut oil), and saute any chopped fresh ginger or garlic that you want to use. If you have a pestle and mortar which of course I do, grind some cumin and coriander, black mustard seeds, fenugreek - whatever, add to the oil, ghee, etc. They burnt really quickly so be careful. Then add chopped onions, and tumeric. Cook everything slowly so that the onions are sweet and (hopefully) don't burn.

If you don't have seed spices, just slowly cook your onions in the oil with the basic three dhal spices, using the powders, maybe a teaspoon of each:
  • tumeric
  • cumin
  • coriander
Other powdered spice variations are:
  • add a pinch of chilli powder
  • tumeric (optional), cumin (optional), curry powder
  • add some ginger and/or garlic powder/s
  • tumeric, a teaspoon of garam marsala, half a teaspoon of curry powder
  • curry leaves added to the onion cooking, with or without any spices that you use
Whatever method you use, the smell will get your digestive juices going. When the dhal is almost cooked, add the onions and spices, do a quick swish of the pan with water to get the ends, add salt. Cook for a little bit longer, as the dhal mysteriously starts to thicken (provided you haven't drowned it with too much water)

 Now, I am no gourmet, nor a great cook. This is very basic dhal, and no doubt dhal purists will be horrified at my lack of dhal dexterity. but it is good food. Usually served with vegetables, but you could have a salad instead, and roti or rice. 

100% yum.

I have cooked red lentils and split peas with just some salt, and you can also add tumeric of course. Just to show you that in life and cooking, nothing is set in stone.

You can also add a small tin of coconut cream or milk at the end to thicken dhal.
















Comments

  1. I've never tried anything like that, it sounds rather yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mostly thinking of families, especially those whose income has been vastly reduced, but other than that, it is good food.

      Delete
  2. Delicious, I actually have a cookbook devoted to dhal - it is total comfort reading and actually we have planned dhal for dinner tonight. Heavenly food, and we have the first pickings of rainbow chard popping up in the Scottish garden so thats actually a huge treat. Keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chard how yummy. And a whole book on dhals? Extra yum

      Delete
  3. There are probably as many ways to cook dhal as there are types of dhal! We always had dhal when I was growing up and I still make it frequently. I like to add milk to my dhal when I cook it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Bless, using milk. My kids and I still eat dhal.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I had an old cookbook which recommended making plain split peas, and thickening them with a white sauce, so that's another option. Plus milk as you said.

      Delete

Post a Comment