having something to look forward to


it's human nature to want to have something to look forward to

at least, I feel that this is so



** link  here to the next part of simple breathing practices to strengthen our lungs and help lift mucus **

why? why would it even matter to have something to look forward to?

I don't know whether it's a want, or a need, but I have definitely noticed for myself, throughout my life, that having something to look forward to, provided something. Like a keeping on going sort of thing. An impetus. Imagine that we had nothing to look forward to. And that's everything in life. Food, water, air, being healthy, being happy, seeing the beauty in the world, being with our loved ones. The list, of course, goes on.

It's looking like a basic human need.

And if we had nothing to look forward to, what then, would matter? 

Today, as I write this, it's a beautiful sunny day. Auckland really turns it on, often, and I'm looking forward to going for a walk in the sun. I'm also looking forward to stewing some fruit for breakfasts, my lentil and vegie soup for lunch, writing. So much to do that's nice in this uncertain and unusual of times. Simple pleasures. I know that millions do not have these options and I'm so grateful that I do.

And it's created an excitement, having these things to do. And to me, excitement is movement, a positive movement. 

Is this one of the things that makes our time on our Planet of Blue so special, this excitement?

reflections

In these difficult times, having things to look forward to each day, to me is like having hope. I can't control what happens overall but in my own little (very little at the moment) moi-iverse, I can reign in feelings of hopelessness by reversing them and having small things to look forward to. And this is what I've been doing. Aside from one very bad day where I was completely overwhelmed looking at things from a family of humankind cohabitating on this planet view, us all being affected by a terrible unseen enemy, and not handling my sorrow, I realised that I had to pull myself together and 


"keep calm and carry on"

"find beauty and peace within The Now"

"have hope for the future"

And this is what I have been doing. Looking for, feeling the more peaceful vibes. Which of course in my wee moi-iverse, are mostly my own vibes. Thinking and feeling with excitement of future plans.  Having things to look forward to. 

the downside of always having and getting

I often ponder that constant instant gratification is perhaps a source of unhappiness: 

  • when we always get what we want, how can we have things to strive for? 
  • how can we look forward to happenings and yes, acquisitions if they are just given to us all the time? 
  • how can we have Inner Strength when all our wants are fulfilled? 
  • how can we and our children develop inner fortitude, empathy and gratitude if we don't get an opportunity to go without?

I have always felt so passionately about this. I want so much for all children (and the rest of us too) to feel good about themselves. Having fortitude, gratitude, excitement, hope. All from having something/s to look forward to.

(So, to walk my talk I've been awaiting till after dinner to eat part of my chocolate bunny. It is so worth the wait)

What do you think about delaying gratification. Or not falling prey to the now, now, now syndrome? 





Comments

  1. I can tell you from experience that when your whole world collapses and you have nothing at all to look forward to, when pleasure in even small things disappears, then life becomes very bleak indeed. For me, it has been a long ongoing process to learn how to have hope in a future that is so different to my previous life. No better or worse, just different. We have to have these times so we can grow, but it is a painful process sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if my previous comment sounded a bit depressing. It wasn't meant to be. There is so much in life to be thankful for. We really do live in a beautiful world. Keeping smiling :) and stay safe, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret. Thank you for that. I have known times like that, of course, but I suspect that yours was indeed profound. Best wishes. And yes, it is a beautiful world.

      Delete
  3. A lovely thought provoking post as always, I think looking forward and self-determination are very closely tied together as you have intimated. There is that sense of "this is going to happen" and THIS is how I am going to shape it and make it something I can own as a thought or event etc. If we have no control over anything then I think that can feel really debilitating and taking a future plan and sensing how to make it ours or can be part of us gives a sense of control over things that often feel very big and out of control, I guess some things ARE too big to control so we may as well try and control our own tiny bit and inhabit our own space and response to it. I guess that also relates to eventual gratification - the learning that not everything needs to be NOW is such an important lesson, my daughter finally got her sticky little mitts on some hazelnut milk and an avocado (she is a student down in Leeds), she was ecstatic - would the hazelnut milk or the avocado have been so appreciated if she could have just picked it up on a whim??? I suspect not :)

    I am working on the breathing exercises - I am enjoying the idea of that tiny period of the day when all I do is that, so thank you so much for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet, yes.... choices, eh? I'm so glad that you are enjoying those breathing exercises, one more post to go on them. They changed my life when I was younger, so I am very grateful to have learnt them.

      Delete
  4. It is good to have something to look forward to. Having said that, I try to live in the present, the here and now. It's not instant gratification in the sense that I have to have everything I want, now. But, rather, it's a matter of make the best use of the time I have today, because tomorrow is not guarantied.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment