good bye vee dub

it is time to say a sad adieu
to my yellow beetle
(sigh)



I have loved having my yellow beetle, which I had intended to have for a minimum of five years. I have lovingly looked after it, gotten minor repairs done as needed. It hasn't needed major repairs. Vee dubby is such a solid and well made lady that she just happily goes on and on. 

We whizzed up and down and around the Waitakeres together. Everyday. Safe as, in those winding and steep hills. Since moving back into the suburbs I noticed two other yellow beetles whizzing around my suburbs. I decided that we were a secret select club of yellow beetle lovers.

When I told my two eldest children about buying my vee dub, they thought that was so fantastic and c-o-o-l. They understood. My youngest is in her early thirties. She just didn't get it. 

I initially learnt to drive in a vee dub beetle, many moons ago. So it was that earlier shape. I have loved them ever since. Only had a few nice and kind lessons from hubby-to-be. But I didn't get my license till four or five years later, as husband sold his beetle when we got married. We lived semi rurally so it really was helpful if I could drive. Husband gave me a few lessons in our car of the moment. Kids quivering in the back, husband screaming about clutches and stuff, me shaking in terror. (Amazing how much he had changed from those first lessons years prior) So we paid for a proper instructor.  

I then learnt in an old manual small Morris. The bubble type. Honestly, it was really old even then. I had to double-declutch to change gear, plus there were other wierd anomalies. But, Mr Instructor, (a rather amorous man, so I had to manouvere around this as well) assured me that if I could drive his old banger of a vehicle, then I would find driving really easy. He was right.

I was an incredibly confident driver, until some years later when my brakes failed at a busy intersection whilst I was driving. I nearly totalled a couple of cars. I have never forgotten this, and I became a very cautious driver as a result. My confidence as a driver was shattered. 

But my confidence came back, finally, with my wee vee dub beetle. We have been a great team. So, why am I selling this beautiful lady? It's only for practical reasons to do with little kids car seats and getting a wee girl in and out of a car and car seat. Oh, and carting around my healing table more easily. 

I intend that vee dub goes to an appreciative home. The previous owner only sold her because she had teenage boys who just kept growing taller and bigger. When I saw them, whoa - they would have all been so squashed in a small car. 

New car is a Mazda Demio, and it's nice. I'm sure that we shall have some good times together. I have had an older Mazda Demio, and it seldom got anything wrong with it. Until one dark and stormy night when someone backed fast out of a driveway into my car. Good bye car. I now only park under street lights if I need to park roadside. The older Mazda was manual, and I kid you not: only youngest child who was in her teens at the time, and myself, found the gears easy to use. 

Does anyone else have favourite types of car? 









Comments

  1. What a lovely car, what a shame she's got to go!
    I had 16 driving lessons in my 20s and was absolutely hopeless. Driving and me weren't meant to be! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix - that may have been a wise move on your part. Sometimes I just wonder why I don't walk and take public transport everywhere.

      Delete
  2. We've owned many vehicles over the years, and named most of them. My current little girl is a Suzuki Swift named Missy.
    My first time in a vehicle was in my uncle's jeep out on the farm. I was so upset being yelled at to "double the clutch" when I had no idea what it meant, that it was ages before I tried again. Then my mother taught me in her little car, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret.... am giggling reading this. Yes, double declutch was a very difficult thing to do and had to be done fast. I've heard that the Suzuki Swifts are just great little cars.

      Delete
  3. My favourite car? The local bus! I really don't like driving - did it when the kids were small, or I worked out near Loch Lomond but really Glasgow parking meant I could happily give up any notion of driving as parking is tight and expensive. Id much rather catch the bus - so I can knit or zone out, the other half is a fabulous driver - but I get too angsty with our narrow windy roads, huge range rovers and clusters of cyclists around the sharp bends... hmm it's really best if I don't drive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived closer into the city - yep, no car. And those big range rovers, they give me the willies. It sounds as though you have a lovely life in Scotland, Juliet xxxxx

      Delete
  4. I’m screaming “NO” here don’t do it.
    My first car was a VW Beetle in the early 70’s and now I’ve had my cyber green one for 17 year s from new and dread the day that it has to go. It won’t be until she’s breathed her last breath. I know it’s ridiculous to so emotionally attached to a bit of metal but
    That’s how it is. My heart goes out to you.
    Hi from a friend of Vix’s. Nice to meet you.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family had a coral colored VW when I was growing up. How my 6ft.+ older brothers fitted into that car is a mystery! I hope your new car works out well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment