ratna goes to town

this is very tongue in cheek.....




Recently I went to The Big Smoke. Where It All Happens. The Inner City. I seldom go because I sometimes don't have a great time there. Like the time, decades ago admittedly, when I was surrounded by a group of thugs in an underground carpark who said that they were going to beat me up. Maybe because I was a bald monk wearing orange robes, and quite tiny. So, fair game obviously. Luckily one of them made out that "I wasn't worth it" (he looked really worried and freaked out on my account), and managed to pull them away. I am now very careful in those places.

Anyway, I offered to drop off vee dub to her new owner, a really lovely student who was also working twelve hour overnight shifts to pay for her life. In a carpark parallel to the main street. It seems that during The Auckland Lockdown level 2, which is now, the Auckland City Council is redoing the Inner City roads. I circled the city about five times, navigating blocked off and redirected streets, trying to get to my destination. Finally it was suggested that I meet new owner at another carpark. Which of course was also closed off. But she also had given me the wrong name. Long story short, we finally met at an opened carpark. After more city circling.

Next step: I thought a nice walk to Downtown to restore my outdated public travel card, (I was going home by train) with a quick lunch, would be nice. Er, no it wouldn't. Where were the real food places? I couldn't find any.  All rubbish fast food or plastic food. I would have loved to go to visit some stores like Prada, Gucci, Chanel, Trelise Cooper, but I was too hungry to enjoy even the thought of it.

I discovered that all trains out to West Auckland where I live, were cancelled. Good one. More walking to find the replacement bus, which eventually turned up. So I was in a bus, masked up, social distancing, and I realised that the bus thought it was a train. We had a very long guided tour of Auckland suburbs, taking the long routes to cover all of the train stops, and navigating all of the road works. I got off at the major transport station closest to my home, and got a bus almost to my door. Another er, no, moment. Bus driver wouldn't stop till after two more stops past mine. I was not a happy camper. 

I limped home. Dodgy foot and ankle were being, well, rather sore. They were worse the next day. 

Message to self: wear trainers when you go to town..... there is a reason that everyone looked like they were dressed for hiking.

** link here to my yoga blog

Comments

  1. What an adventure!
    I must admit I loathe our local city, a shrine to fast fashion and tacky restaurant chains.
    I hope the foot and ankle heal quickly. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the Inner City was fast food, a few designer shops, and junk.

      Delete
  2. I imagine it will be quite a while before you venture back into the Inner City to have some more fun LOL. Actually, you have my sympathies, and I hope your foot and ankle soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always there, the foot and ankle problem. Sometimes I manage it great, othertimes, no

      Delete
  3. Definitely an adventure! Hope your foot and ankle will be better, soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well a scenic tour of erm nowhere you needed to be by the sounds of it. Glasgow has a lot of fast fashion and naff food but it also has a LOT of phone stores - seriously do people have so little imagination that all they do is shop and eat at chains???? I do like Glasgows amazing busker scene and if you know the right places it has great indie coffee... but really it is a while since I ventured into the city centre. The nearest shopping hub (Milngavie) is not really much better, sad times when those are all the offerings. Hopefully your ankle/foot are better quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love buskers. Our local supermarket allows buskers outside and I always drop them some money. They are just fantastic

      Delete
  5. Oh my word, what an ordeal for you! I would have gotten so frustrated by the end of it. I am so sorry that you had to hobble home on a bad foot. Thanks for sharing your tongue-in-cheek story and linking with me! This was fun to read!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment