restore: values

 why values for restoring?

(photo by Robert Theimann, Unsplash.com)


Why indeed? The bottom line, for me anyway, is that living by my values gives me peace, and that peace restores me. 

When I was a young Mum, my main concern for my two children was that they were happy and healthy. So this was a prominent value that I lived by. Wheat germ, yoghurt, sprouts, juices, smoothies, lots of happy play and care, in abundance.

But, yeah, right. As if a parent can control their childrens' destiny as they go through life. 

Then as a much older Mum (honestly I thought at the time that I was probably the oldest Mum in the hospital giving birth), I realised that it was so important to add the values of other things that would enable a child, as they became an adult, to have a life where their values would guide them. Because we cannot control our destiny, nor fate.

All three of my children - I sincerely hope that I gave, or inspired, some values in them, each to their own unique nature. I know that they had their own special values, for which I am so proud.

our values make us feel good. When we live by them, that is.

they can, and do, restore us.

I like to do a values "audit" whenever things aren't their best, or I am run down. Some years ago, I was going through a very difficult time, and as I looked at my life, I realised that I had not been living true to my values. I thought that I had been, but when I had a closer look - umm, no. And I just wasn't feeling good, on any level.

As soon as I stopped doing whatever it was (and I'm so not saying as it will hurt others' feelings, but it was to do with my professional life), and just so you know, it wasn't bad, no not at all. Not in the slightest. I don't do "bad". But it was not in accordance with me and what I stood for. Anyway, to continue that sentence.... my life improved one hundred percent, just by returning to what I stood for by word, by deed, by heart. 

So, yes, with restore - what needs a little tweek with my values? In an honest evaluation. 

our heart holds the key

I would always say that our heart is our guide with values. And this in turn affects our feelings which then affect our mind - then the body. Like a perpetual circular motion. 

We can either have peace, or not feel good about ourselves.

I choose peace. 

What do you think of this?


** you might also like this post from my yoga blog about my values with teaching yoga

** and this post about values and also about teaching yoga

** as well as this post about affluence and economy



Comments

  1. Living according to our values is important, isn't it? I, too, choose peace. I have truly enjoyed this series of posts; thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective. My values come from God's word. I'm sure I would be terrible at coming up with my own! Visiting you from the wonderful wednesday link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chuckle, Lauren - but seriously, that sounds lovely xx

      Delete
  3. So true, I also walk away from negativity - total time such and it swamps you with other peoples bad thoughts etc, I believe we have to remind ourselves every now and then that who we are is not a spare dumping ground for other peoples behaviour or issues - really important to stand firm and choose to be who we are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you, that takes courage. Biggest lesson of my life, Juliet. And one that I have to constantly revisit.

      Delete
  4. Ratnamurti, I absolutely agree with all of this 100%! I have found when my life seems to feel very unsettled that it is often due to my straying too far from my own values. I have quit more than one job because I felt as if my values were being compromised and the leaving made a huge impact in getting me back to my core set of beliefs. As I have grown older, it is very difficult to convince me in any way to compromise my own values and veer too far from where my moral compass is pointing. But of course, none of us are perfect and it does happen from time to time, often without us even noticing. So it is important to listen to our guts and our hearts and our souls...especially when something feels amiss. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post and linking with me.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder, Shelbee, if people would be so much happier if we all stood by good, kind values - I admire you for staying strong to yours'. It's not easy to leave a job, but somehow life gets better when we stay true to ourself XXXXXX

      Delete
  5. Hi, Ratnamurti - Here in the United States, as we enter into another serious wave of Coronavirus, we are getting ready for Thanksgiving. Despite all we have been through, we are the survivors and are grateful for that. Next will come Christmas, the season of Peace and Love, along with serious Aquarian energy of change and brotherhood. I am maneuvering the stressful events we are all going through by breaking old blind habits and beliefs and building upon my values with more awareness. Season's greetings, my friend! - Angie, www.yourtrueselfblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartbreaking to hear how the virus is moving in your country. We are so fortunate in New Zealand that we are isolated from everyone else.

      Delete

Post a Comment