lockdown again

 here we are again.

I noticed that some journalists overseas had mocked us for locking down with just one case of probable delta variant covid.

Lucky us that the lockdown was immediate. 

As now there are quite a few more cases.


the only noise in my street is Little Miss Pixie.

sorting out any cats (all bigger than her) from the safety of a window

letting any passers by (hardly any) know who's boss

she's turned my tranquil home into a mad-house

our lockdown figures with covid aren't as bad as they could be

Looking at international figures regarding covid cases and deaths per million of population, we are remarkably low. And rather high with economic recovery to do with covid.

Hmm... so our lockdown policies aren't so silly after all. But, wow, what a shocker about how fast and easy it is for the Delta variant to spread.

but it does mean some everyday changes

I did the correct thing and didn't panic buy before but I do wish that I'd remembered to buy coffee. I am a bit worried on the lack-of-coffee-front.

I had an epiphany day two. I realised after a glorious hunkering down and mucking around on day one, that I could use this period constructively. Or just blob, eat, watch movies. Oh yes, that actually was day one. And the day that I'm writing this too. Blob, blob. I did manage to clean up some of my computer files though. 

I realised, too, that I would find it all a lot easier if I maintained a few routines, such as:

  • regular mealtimes 
  • maintaining my morning and evening routines. As small and unsignificant as they may be, they make a lovely rhythm to daily life.
  • dress nicely each day. The slob routine just carries over into my daily life, and I end up feeling overwhelmed and "down" when I don't make myself look nice, in the morning.
  • keep wee abode tidy so that I don't get overwhelmed by mess

So, what else can I do that will make me feel good, and as though I've actually accomplished something? 

**keep sorting out those computer files a bit at a time

** I realised that as I don't keep large supplies of food in my home, I shall have to not eat indiscriminately all of lockdown. I have worked out a sort of food regime with what I actually do  have available. Cleaning out the cupboards and freezer. It was possible that I could be a bit hungry though. Then, surprisingly, quite a bit of food came my way. Small freezer is now full.


** This is a great time to catch up with friends and family via phone, messenger, so this is a priority for me. 

** I've been sorting a lot of things out - repairing, tidying and biffing. The op shops will be doing well from me when we are able to resume life.

** the big mission has been to sort out and colate twelve years of notes from yoga, healing and spirituality. Twelve years!!! Why have I not done this sooner??? About seven years ago, I did colate and file all of my yoga and some of my healing notes and courses. I have massively big folders of them. But now, hilariously, I have even more to sort out.

a big blogging achievement

The first lockdown in New Zealand, I wrote some things about managing with food when things weren't so readily available. Can you imagine my surprise and joy when I found that one of these posts was mentioned in one of my favourite blog sites ever, The 1940s Experiment - Living on Rations as in World War Two. The link is here. This is a really bigtime blog with a great reputation, so to have little me mentioned - I was so overwhelmed

Over the past eighteen months I've been featured on some others, two of which are Big Names in bloggerville. Each time I was amazed but very happy about it. 

eggy wraps

So, on the economy note, here's something for when you only have that disgusting $1 bread and can't face using it. Or you're fed up with those stale wraps. Or you need to eke out your eggs. And so on.

This recipe only makes four, so adjust accordingly.

Mix and whisk together
* 1/2 cup flour  * 1 egg  * 1/2 cup of water approximately  * pinch of salt  * pinch of baking powder or yeast, or both

Have your frypan on medium heat with some oil sprayed or wiped on. Basically you use about two tablespoons of mix, pour it in then spread thinly using a spoon, to make a circle. Cook for about two minutes, then turn it over for one minute more.

It might take you a bit of fiddling around to get it right, but I do enjoy these. 

When I made these on the first lockdown, I used the last dreg of flour, plus cornflour. Talk about not having been prepared for an emergency. I made scones yesterday (I only do this about once every five years) and discovered that I had less than a teaspoon of baking powder. (Someone obviously is very slack with shopping)

any useful hints for lockdown? food or otherwise








Comments

  1. I enjoy the 1940s Blog as well :)
    It is so important, isn't it, that we don't deteriorate into BLOBS just because we are stuck at home. I was reading the other day how we should make more effort to maintain our regular routines and rituals so that life can continue to have meaning for us. I know a guy who seldom gets out of his trackies, and slobs around the place - then wonders why he feels so down all the time!
    Little Miss Pixie is so cute :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie has a big personality. What you wrote about routines sums it up for me

      Delete
  2. Maintaining routines is so important! I hope your lockdown passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more weeks of full on lockdown then hopefully slightly less restrictions.

      Delete
  3. I wish it was like that here, I have had several members of my family get covid. We have been lucky because we have had the vaccine so the cases were mild...I am going to get the booster next week....my daughter doesn't let me go any where but once every 5 weeks for hair appt. or the doctors...I just wish it would all go away....stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very hard. So good that you're family were vaccinated. Uncertain times in an uncertain world. We are so lucky that we are a smaller population with an amazing prime minister who put us into lockdown very quickly. I'm sure that we will go into lockdown at other times too.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with lockdown! Hubby and I were so lucky with being able to work from home, although with the kids having to do online learning too it wasn't exactly easy, haha! That helped give our day structure and routine kind of in our lockdowns. There is always the threat of another lockdown here in Brisbane but at just 3 days usually it's not too taxing which is good. I hope things get safer for you all soon!

    Hope you are having a nice weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sister living in Brisbane and I can't stop watching the news to make sure that Brisbane is okay.

      Delete
  5. Love that you are looking at the bright side of things with this lockdown. Take care my friend!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I am Katherine. I actually am a real introvert, so this is a healing time for me, being alone and recharging

      Delete
  6. I sure hope you get out of this fast- even if a bit of down time is sometimes needed, lockdowns are not fun- I feel you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in New Zealand, so right now it's one of the safest places to be. Am grateful even though yeah - not fun.

      Delete
  7. I'm all for routines at home & the workplace. Routines make it easier for me when things are not my normal, such as a snowstorm causing an electrical outage for several days or being short staffed at work when tasks have to be completed regardless. Your Little Miss Pixie is adorable. I have a Rose, she is a chocolate (brown & white) Boston terrier. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we just love our fur-babies!!! I always think of snow being magical, but you definitely know the other side of it with power cuts. BBrrr

      Delete

Post a Comment