Restore: yoga

Photo by Ksenia Makagonova on Unsplash 

Restore. One of my favourite ongoing topics. 

You could be excused for wondering why. It really is because I spent most of my life trying so hard to restore my health. Even when I appeared to be healthy, I knew that I actually was not. Due to a body condition (link is here), which no-one was aware of. Least of all me. And cyclically I would resume trying to get my life force, my body, my capabilities up to par. Of course the results were never lasting. Because they couldn't last. It just wasn't possible.

And now I am doing it again. Under different circumstances, of course. More favourable ones. It now is possible. πŸ˜ƒ

I am so freaking grateful. A new chance at life. Under a better situation. Of course, it would help if I was way younger. But I'm not. And actually, this doesn't deter me at all. And I do have to do things differently. Tummy is very particular about what goes into it, and what movement I do. I've learnt (the hard way, I might add)πŸ˜’to respect that.

When we are recovering from illness, surgery, and such, I do think that our diet and exercise, plus rest, do matter. Within what we each can and can't do.

New directions with yoga

I've been involved with yoga, in varying degrees due to whatever was happening in my life, for most of my life. I started in my early twenties. And I was always pretty faithful to whatever system that I was learning. 

However, I've had to go back to basics. A newie for me. And no, it's not chair yoga (which I do think would be great for restoring oneself). Nor am I just doing joint flexibilities, seated on the floor, with legs straight out in front, slowly with awareness. Oh my Omness, I just loathe this. I do think that this sort of routine, called Pawanmuktasana part one, is better suited to being done, seated in a chair. Much easier for restoring, and especially if one has a bad back. Which of course, I did have, during the mystery illness.

What I did do as I got sicker and sicker, was a flexibility series that I learnt from a western Swami, who learnt it off his Indian Guru. I learnt it from my first yoga teacher. This was one of the things that kept me going on a physical level. Especially as I developed full-on rheumatoid arthritis symptoms as my condition progressed. Since surgery, both my back pain and that type of arthritis, have simply disappeared. Into the ether. (Thank you Universe) I also have continued with the same flexibilities, as I feel that they are a forgotten but important part of yoga. And I'm just doing a few simple poses as well, at the moment. 

Soulshine yoga with Nilamani

(link to her facebook page is here)

I was online chatting to a dear friend, Nilamani Wright, who teaches Naam Yoga, ShaktiNaam, and Sukshma Vyayama. These are quite different to the current styles of yoga, and really I would say, very subtle. Anyone can do them. So I've been part of her forty day sadhana (spiritual practice). It's gentle movement, specific breathing, and meditation. with music. I would have to say that my body immediately calmed down, and it's been making a big difference. 

I have only been to one other person's meditation group/class, over the decades. Because I actually do practice, I don't feel the need to go elsewhere. Plus I've also taught meditation for decades, so it doesn't really make sense for me to learn off someone else. But I'm so glad that I joined up with Nilamani's online class. It's totally different for me, and I'm loving it.

What would I recommend to start with in yoga?

Well, it depends really. 

** If you're really fit and just want to have a general restore on the physical level, a gym class, or a dynamic class (power yoga) from a local teacher would be great. And there are tons of this harder form on youtube. 

** You want to add yoga to your fitness skills, maybe once a week? Again, a gym class or local teacher is great.

** You would just like to add some manageable poses to do at home, I would recommend Denise Austin on youtube. Keeping in mind that Denise is 67, if she can do them.... we can too. A nice little 15 minute routine from her, is here

** You're a beginner, and want to practice at home? Barbara Currie on youtube is amazing. Simple Hatha Yoga, holding poses for a short while, doing each pose only twice. Seriously, don't knock it, you would progress really quickly. Her Cellulite Beater series is very simple, easy, and effective. 

** You have been really sick, recovering from surgery, or physical damage? Chair yoga. youtube. Or my flexibilities, all done standing. I do each one only three times and through all of the physical and health hardships that I went through, these little moves were miraculous. The link to them on my yoga blog, is here. A few easy peasy stretches are included. All just take less than five minutes. 

It's easy to progress quickly in yoga

Doing chair yoga, or my flexibilities, will honestly lead to being able to move more. From here you could perhaps join a local beginners class, or do the Denise Austin routine suggested above. You will be able to keep progressing to more and more challenging classes, if that is your aim.

For anyone who has arthritis, the flexibilities are something that I recommend always doing. Every day, if possible.

Benefits of yoga

Where to start? There are so many benefits. 

** makes us flexible

** works on strength

** tones the muscles

** calms our mind and emotions. Big bonus.

** makes us feel happy

There are far more benefits, but this is okay to start with. πŸ˜‚ One of the main benefits is that the physical side of yoga, restores us on so many levels.

A couple of posts from my yoga blog which involve restoring with yoga are here, and here


link here to my spirituality blog

Link to my talks and meditations on Earth Elders: here.  Click "join" if you haven't already, then click the search icon there, and enter "Ratnamurti Saraswati". 

Link to Global Unity Festivals on you tube, here. I'm in the Wave 1, Asia/Pacific episodes.

Link to a post explaining Global Unity Festivals, here  

Unfortunately, Global Unity Festivals are currently on a break.

Comments

  1. I continue to pray for you to be well; thank you for the links, I will check them out. I've only taken one yoga class, a long time ago, when I was younger and much fitter, and I enjoyed it. I was thinking about joining a class after I retired and then came Covid. I'm still not going out and about, so, something I can do at home would be best for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment