Recovery and preparation

                             Image may contain: shoes
          (the altar for our recent three heart chakras workshop)

Recovery and preparation from and for what?

Life.

This weekend I was one of two teachers on a yoga seminar. It was "The Call of The Heart", and was about the three heart chakras. My friend, Linsey Smith, the other teacher, is very lovely, and we both combine our Maori Lore, each of us is learning a different aspect from the other, with yoga. So, it's very special for us doing these seminars. This is our second collaboration.

Linsey has an amazing yoga studio, quite some distance from where I live. Same city. Auckland is very sprawled out, so it can take a fair while, even on the motorways, to get places. For many years. I had previously taken weekend seminars, at least two a month, and day workshops, for most of the year. Plus been a teacher on at least one residential retreat, and taught quite a few classes each week. Very busy.

Next, I had several years where I just took about thirteen classes a week, travelling far and wide around Auckland, to do so. The travelling was the stressful part. And took a few small workshops each year. Plus did healing, and clairvoyant readings.

Then, I completely removed myself from public life. For many reasons. Stopped the workshops, stopped doing public classes, and just did a few privates, healing, and only a few readings. I was never, ever going back into public life again.

But, I have resumed public life. I've stepped back into taking a few workshops. I don't feel the need to do many; I've done that before. I also go to many weekend workshops to learn Maori Ancient Lore. Once a month, for over a year, I do a day's clairvoyant readings at a friend's Crystal and Healing fair.

And, I often forget, that the day after any of these, that I am exhausted. I need to go into recovery mode. I guess that it's my own form of Monday-itis.

How I recover
  • I do sleep in, the morning after, which is usually Monday. Because I need the extra sleep
  • I aim to have as few things as possible, which I "have" to do. This doesn't always happen, I must admit. Especially as I donate my time to a healing clinic on Monday evenings. Luckily, I usually get a healing myself.....
  • If I've been sitting for hours, I wake up with a sore back, and very, very, stiff. Not a pretty sight. So I do a few yoga flexibility movements with a special breath to wake up the mind and body. Takes, oh, maybe five minutes. And a few wall stretches, because, well, I am so stiff. I don't do "proper" yoga, because in these moments, my body is too sore.
  • I usually am "over" doing meditation on this day. I am meditated out, already. I feel as though I need the normal stresses of life, to balance me out.
  • I swing into careful mode with my diet. And drink more water. 
  • I don't talk much, as I find that it uses up my energy. 
  • But I do plaster on a smile. It does make me good.
  • I am incredibly grateful that I usually don't have do the cleaning up afterwards. 
  • I thank the Universe for allowing me to do these things that I do, and to feel enriched, and happy.

                    Image may contain: 14 people, people smiling, people standing

(second from left at our three hearts seminar. Yes, I am quite short)

Preparation

I am very organised with preparing for all of the above things that I might be doing: a day's clairvoyant readings; attending a Maori workshop (it's called a Wananga); taking a yoga workshop; travelling to teach yoga:



  • for the readings, I have my tarots just in case. I seldom use them, but I take them
  • for Wananga, I have workbook and pens ready the night before
  • for teaching, if there are any hand-outs, I prepare them first. Along with pens. I don't need to take much, and certainly no notes for myself, as I only teach what I do know
  • I check tyres, oil, water, petrol, the day before, especially if I need to travel
  • if I need to take food, I have it all ready to go, the night before
  • I go to bed early, and toss and turn all night, falling fast asleep in time for the alarm to go off. I just do this bizarre ritual, I don't know why
  • I get my clothes ready the night before, then go into a mild frenzy the next morning, pulling out all of my clothes, in a whirlwind of indecision and panic. Yet another bizarre ritual
  • I get up early enough to do some yoga, yoga breathing and meditation. And some Maori chants pertinent to whatever I'm going to be doing (they are called karakia). The yoga and chants give me energy and focus for the day
  • I have a light yet nourishing breakfast
  • and coffee. Of course. I do need coffee. It's part of The Ritual

Comments

  1. It all sounds so interesting, Ratnamurti. Obviously you love what you do, but it also seems very intense, too, and exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is intense, Bless, and I do get tired, but as you picked up, I love it, and it all interests me.

      Delete

Post a Comment