what happened with my week of restore

 it's all well and good having a restore week

but - did it make any difference?

did I actually do any of it?


Photo by Elahe Motamedi on Unsplash

looking at life through new eyes after my one week of restore

I've often wondered if any of the gazillion bloggers out there do actually follow their own advice? It's one of my criteria for blogs that I regularly follow - do they walk their talk? How authentic do they feel to me. 

And this actually is one of my "things". I spent decades in the yoga scene, and would get so internally "ggrrr" when people were saying one thing to look good, but doing another behind the scenes. Now, older (much!!!) and hopefully wiser, I know realise that it is just a facet of life, and that this goes on, everywhere. 

So, honesty time. What was the result of my restore week? It was mostly an internal, reflective outcome. Which in itself interested me, as I prefer to do things to get results. 

Results:

time management: I am much more on top of things, using my diary properly to keep myself on track. I'm quite pleased about this. Could be better, but - hey - I've gotten good results every day.

my evening routine - I've failed miserably. This honestly has always been my messy area of life, and the one of the two areas that I am being most reflective about. So, this is my work in progress, in a doing way. 

friends and family: I haven't met up with too many close people, as planned, due to us all being mega busy. I have managed to hang out with a couple of grand-daughters, great grandson, my two daughters, some of my siblings and nephews, and of course my healing friends. So, I suppose that's actually quite a lot!  I do take the time to contact people who matter to me. Always. Facebook, messenger, phone.

tidiness: le abode: I've been tidier. I'm actually not too messy, however I am a very visual person. I work from home, so anything out of place, looking "messy" keeps catching my eye, and then the work just doesn't get done. Which happens when one does a lot of mental work.

tidiness: moi: The moi-self tidying-up has been erratic.  Mostly as a follow-on from the messy evening non-routine. 

being grateful: Absolutely. As a way of life. I truly believe that every cloud has a silver lining, and that most of us on this planet of blue, have so much to be grateful for.

money - making every dollar count: Yes, I'm back to being prudent with money. I've made a few mistakes, but happily have learnt from them. For example, I met with someone thinking we were going to do the early lunch thing. Um, we weren't.... Next time I had a cafe catch-up, it was a cuppa and a scone. (ker-ching!!)

affluence aka quality of life: I am big on this, and I firmly believe that it is not about the money, but rather the way that we live our life. 

Getting back to money, in accordance with affluence. Most people (unless they inherit), create a financially affluent life by not spending all of their money. A lesson I learnt very strongly from my Nanna's example.

values: Surprisingly, this is the area where I am the most contemplative at the moment. I say "surprisingly", because I generally am quite strong in this area. Really it's not so much as life values to live by which is my strong area, but rather values for myself - what I do for myself, as values for my own personal well-being. Many healers need a shake-up in this area. Talking about moi-self here.....

Yes, so that's the outcome of my latest restore week. I hope any of the posts inspired you in some way.

** my first one week restore is here

** my second one week restore, which is what this post refers to, is here

** the link to my yoga blog is here

Comments

  1. Great reminder to be authentic in what we say, "advise", and do! Thanks for sharing these reflections. They helped me reflect on these areas as well. I'm visiting from the Traffic Jam Weekend link up today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Marielle, and nice to meet you. I enjoyed your blog, very positive and authentic.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you, overall, had a good response to your week, and thanks for being so honest about it. I always fall apart in the evenings too, but lately I've just been letting it go. I get things that matter done in the morning and have stopped worrying about the rest - must be I'm developing an old-person attitude! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle - or just realising that you no longer "have to" do everything the way you did before.......

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to read of you meeting up with friends and spending time with family, it seems like an age way since we did that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix - we are lucky here in New Zealand, and honestly when we even have partial lockdown - I am just not available to go out and about.

      Delete
  4. It's good to take stock once in a while, and re-evaluate your life, isn't it. I have to have fairly strict time management because I have chronic fatigue and need to make sure I get sufficient rest and not overdo things. I love to cook, and I do a weekly meal plan which helps me not to have to cook every single day of the week or I would get overtired. I have a strict routine for laundry and other domestic tasks and am fortunate enough to have someone to clean one afternoon a week. During lockdown, a lot of people say they can't remember what day of the week it is, because all the days are the same, but I am very much stay-at-home (virtually housebound unless my hubby takes me out) and if anyone's days should be all the same, it's me! - but for me, every day is different, with allotted tasks. This certainly works for me!

    One of my least favourite tasks is doing the monthly accounts, and in the past I've tended to procrastinate over this, and have it hanging over me which is never good. This year I made a New Year resolution to have the beastly job completed within the first week of the month, and so far I have succeeded - right up to November! (Shoshi pats herself on the back...) It certainly gives me a sense of achievement and peace of mind for the rest of the month once it's out of the way.

    I don't think it matters if you lapse once in a while, or find it hard to keep the routine going in the evenings. Sometimes it's good just to let go and relax and forget the self-imposed routine for a bit. It is supposed to help you, not make you its slave, after all. I get days when I feel as if I haven't achieved anything but I've learnt (well, more or less!) not to beat myself up over it. Everyone always says they are amazed at the amount I do achieve so I must be doing something right!

    Thank you for yet another visit to my blog and for your sweet comments that keep coming! I so appreciate them. I have always been creative and get great fulfilment from it.

    It is so true what you say about chewing your food! I expect your home-made muesli mix contains oatmeal? This is very good for you in many ways. You get good omega 3 from the nuts and seeds (lots of chewing - and delicious too - extra crunch and texture - yummy!). We have a tablespoon of ground flax seed each morning with breakfast and this is excellent for reducing LDL cholesterol. I make up an oatmeal breakfast which lasts me 4 days (my hubby doesn't like it so he has porridge) - the recipe is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZshuwp8tI (Blueberry Chia Oat Pudding - recipe in description under video) - I love Chef AJ! I substitute lemon juice for her balsamic vinegar because we can't get that variety here in the UK. I have also increased the oatmeal to 1 cup and added extra water, and 4 tabs ground flax seed (1 for each day) and 3 or 4 pitted dates for extra sweetness and fibre. I can't get enough of this!! It is utterly delicious.

    Have a great week!
    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shoshi, am going through chef aj's site - very interesting!!! I'm going to have that tomorrow for breakfast. Regatding $ - when I was doing my small business I always kept on top of things like the financial side, bills and such, because if I didn't - my stomach would hurt like crazy with anxiety. However now that I don't earn as much, I'm getting a bit slack. That whole achievement thing gets so intense. I'm much happier doing less and earning less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are following up on Chef AJ! She's quite a character and was one of my first influences leading me to the wholefood plant-based lifestyle. I'm glad to hear that you are happier now you have decided to be less achievement-driven. Quality of life is important, isn't it!!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like your week of restore has had some result in most areas of your life, Ratnamurti. I think what is important is that we review and strive to improve. It's a work in progress, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that part about walking your own talk really spoke to me. I am huge on that as well and if I feel like I am not walking my own talk, I have to change that right away. Authenticity is so important to me as well. And it is what draws me to others out in the world. I have a bit of sharing that needs to be done as well to remain true to what I preach. Now I just need to find the motivation to write the stuff down. I am truly inspired by the work you do for others and for yourself. I will follow your lead, my friend!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelbee. I feel humble reading this. Yes, walk the talk instead of talk the walk, I rekon

      Delete
  8. I love your experiment - its important to reset, I guess in the past we had festivals or ways of marking the years progression and that helped us attune our bodies and mark the passage through seasons. I also love how you are so realistic and accepting, beating ourselves up is often the hardest habit to let go of.. my night time routine is not so good either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use to do certain things at certain times to mark various aspects of the year and life - but somehow life got in the way. I do like to do tthe rest thing, from time to time. I find it helps my equilibrium.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Ratnamurti - I'm so there with you on two counts especially: 1) I am always grateful every day. 2) I can't seem to get to bed early because I have the most energy at night and get so much done I can't stop. Lol! I'm doing "40 days and 40 nights" of clearing up my papers because there are piles of them from my blog. That's my progress. Next up is meditating for a longer period every day. At least I'm becoming more mindful, doing one thing at a time rather than two or three. It really is helping to release inspiration and a better path for me. I love your thoughtful posts - Angie, www.yourtrueselfblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. I like your blog, too. xxx I did high faluting meditations for decades, but now, I just close my eyes, nothing fancy, and go within. I found it easiest to do this as soon as I wake up, and just before sleep. I too am having trouble getting to bed early, and it so catches up with me (sigh)

      Delete

Post a Comment