Christmas is a-coming

at Bayswater Boating Club, so long ago. Left to right - Lorena, Evelyn, Donene (me)

And here it is. Christmas. After yet another strange year.  The new normal.

Over time, my Christmases have gotten smaller and smaller. Now it's spending the afternoon with my two daughters and their daughters, plus a great grandson. It will be lovely. Just two children: a five year old, and one not-quite-two. Little Miss-not-quite-two will be amazed. All of these people!! And toys!! Master five is an old hand, he knows the ropes, and it's at his house. 

Early memories

My early years, we had the Christmas tree ritual, and we never ever had many presents. Think colouring-in books and fat crayons and something nice to wear for Christmas day. One year, we all got a baby doll. There were just five daughters at that time. Mum knitted a little outfit for each doll, each in a different colour. I was so impressed by this. One Christmas Eve, I looked out the bedroom window. It was night, and we were supposed to be asleep. And then, wonder of wonders!! I saw Mrs Santa Claus coming up our path with wrapped up presents. The amazing thing was that she looked just like the toy shop owner!! Well, of course she did. She would definitely look like Mrs Santa Claus. After that Mum went to work afternoons and evenings, scrubbing floors, to pay for those presents, and put food on the table. Am a bit tearful writing this. 

Then we would go to Nanna's. Dad's Mum. She was a warm, gentle, gracious woman, who loved us all. Lots of cousins, yummy food. Tons of adult relatives. I loved it. When I went to live with Nanna, Grandad, my Aunt, and Dad, Christmas mornings were not a lavish outpouring of presents. But they were lovely mornings. I have such wonderful memories.

Adulting at Christmas

When I had my own children, my mother-in-law, and father-in-law would come on Christmas morning for presents-around-the-tree. Then off to my Mums. More presents, and of course, sneaky quaffing of chocolates and nuts by my two kids. Then to Nannas. Both kids threw up in the car on the way. Every. Single. Year. 

Things change, of course they do. I don't get to see my relatives much any more. We all have our own families and grandchildren. We've all made our own Paths in Life. 

But the beautiful memories, they always remain. In our hearts. Forever.


Hari Kirihimete katua -

Merry Christmas everyone.

Kia kaha, haere pai, kia ora -

Be strong, go well, be safe

** link here to a true Christmas reindeer story

** link here to my yoga blog where I've been writing about auto-immune disorders







Comments

  1. "Things change, of course they do. I don't get to see my relatives much any more. We all have our own families and grandchildren. We've all made our own Paths in Life.

    But the beautiful memories, they always remain. In our hearts. Forever."

    I can't tell you how refreshing it is to read those words, I get so fed up with people unhappy with their Xmases because they keep harking back to the past. Move on, adapt and accept.

    That photo is gorgeous, what pretty girls you were! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love your outlook. And I too get fed up with hearing about "the good old days" - because for so many, they weren't that great.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a happy and peaceful Christmas 2021. I have one strong memory of early Christmas days - we always received an orange in the toe of our stocking, the only orange we ever had during the whole year. It was like gold and almost too good to eat!
    Sending love and hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard for many to understand, Margaret. But I often think back at how NOT having a lot of "stuff" made children happier and more creative.

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a very happy Christmas with your loved ones this year and new memories were made to be added to the older memories. :) Hope you have a very happy New Year, too, filled with love, joy, good health, and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment